Hillary Clinton speaks during an event, which was part of her "Breaking Down Barriers" tour, at Jackie O's Production Brewery and Taproom on Tuesday, May 3, 2016. 

Former President Bill Clinton is coming to Athens County to campaign for Hillary Clinton

Ohio University College Democrats and OU College Republicans are preparing for former President Bill Clinton to make his way to Athens County on Tuesday.

Bill Clinton will visit Athens, Jefferson and Stark counties as part of a two-day stretch on the "Stronger Together" bus tour Tuesday and Wednesday to campaign for Democratic presidential nominee Hillary Clinton.

“President Clinton will lay out the high stakes of November's election for Ohio's working families and talk with Ohioans about Hillary Clinton's plans to build an economy that works for everyone, not just those at the top,” a statement from the campaign reads.

As of press time, local Democrats were unaware of the exact time and place of Bill Clinton’s visit.

“Information will continue to come down from the campaign for an event like this,” Wyatt Ronan, the regional press secretary for the Clinton campaign, said. “The details have to be worked out with headquarters and with the Secret Service.”

Bill Clinton campaigned for his wife in Cleveland and Toledo earlier this week, though Hillary Clinton has not made a stop in the state since Labor Day. Hillary Clinton made an appearance in Athens in May, after most students had already gone home for the summer.

“I’m really excited to see (former President Clinton), I’ve always looked up to him,” Ohio University College Democrats President Sam Miller said. “There was a lot of great progress made during his time in office, even with the scandals. I’m happy to hear him tell us about his wife.”

Miller hopes that former President Clinton will meet with the College Democrats after his speech. She said club members will be at the event, helping people to register to vote or sign up to volunteer.

The College Republicans will also be making an appearance, according to club president David Parkhill. He said members will probably make signs to protest the former president’s visit.

“I think it’s pretty important people realize that he assaulted women,” Parkhill said. “It’s wrong that he can stand there and pretend to be something he isn’t.”

In spite of that, though, Parkhill said he was impressed the local Democrats were able to get a former president to visit.

“Politics aside, it is pretty cool that they were able to get (Bill Clinton) to come to Athens,” he said.

@kcoward02

kc769413@ohio.edu

@torrantial

lt688112@ohio.edu