MAC Football: Kent State travels to No. 1 Alabama, Battle for Victory Bell in Cincinnati

As the non-conference season comes to a close this week, there will be interesting match-ups all across the country. 

Not all of the Mid-American Conference schools that have big games this week will play Power Five schools, but those games are still important for the teams to play well, or even better yet, win.

Kent State vs. No. 1 Alabama

Kent State will have to travel to Tuscaloosa to play the No. 1 ranked team in the country and defending national champions, Alabama.

Although that seems like an impossible challenge, coach Paul Haynes is simply going to take it one play at a time.  

“It’s really about what we do,” Haynes said. “It comes down to the fundamentals of football, and we got to do the things to put us in the position to not beat ourselves.”

Haynes also noted that this game is big for his program not only experience-wise, but for exposure.

“We’re going to play the best, and we’re going to challenge the best,” Haynes said.

Miami (OH) vs. Cincinnati

Miami will travel to Cincinnati to play an in-state rivalry game.

The RedHawks have not beaten Cincinnati since 2005, but the last two games have been decided by a combined 11 points.

Coach Chuck Martin knows that while his team has struggled in its recent history, the “Battle for the Victory Bell” seems to make his players step up.

“Everytime you have a rivalry game, games tend to be closer,” Martin said.

The closeness of the two schools also increases the feelings of rivalry.

“Obviously a lot of players on both teams know each other,” Martin said. “All the Ohio kids seem to know each other.”

Western Michigan vs. Georgia Southern

Last season, those two teams played, and Georgia Southern won big, 43-17. Western Michigan will look to put out a better showing this season. Based on the Broncos performance so far, it looks like they have a pretty good chance.

Signup for Post Haste, our daily newsletter, to stay up to date with local news, the day's weather and uptown drink specials.

“Out of all the games we played last year, that was the one team that physically kicked our butt,” coach P.J. Fleck said. “But, it’s a new year. Last year has nothing to do with this year.”

An impressive win in this game may garner the Broncos enough votes to earn a ranking in the Associated Press poll.

@trevor_colgan

tc648714@ohio.edu