Ohio wide receiver Sebastian Smith attempts to run through Western Michigan's defense during a game on Saturday, October 17, 2015. (LAUREN BACHO | FILE)

MAC Football: Four MAC teams head to Big 10 schools in search of win, payout.

The first week of the college football season is the chance for Group of Five schools to see where they stack up against some of the best teams in the nation.

It's also the chance for schools to collect a nice pay day. 

In 2012, Ohio collected $850,000 from Penn State to go to Happy Valley and play the Nittany Lions. 

The Bobcats even pulled the upset that day, defeating Penn State 24-14. 

This week, four MAC teams play Power Five teams, all of them being Big Ten schools.

Western Michigan at Northwestern

Coach P.J. Fleck has always liked and respected Northwestern coach Pat Fitzgerald.

“I think he is one of the best coaches in the country,” Fleck said.

When he was the wide receivers coach at Northern Illinois, he asked Fitzgerald if he could take him out to lunch, and Fitzgerald accepted.

Fleck said Fitzgerald is the only coach that accepted Fleck’s request to take them out to lunch, and that he learned a lot from Fitzgerald, especially about the process. 

“We try to emulate his culture here at Western Michigan in terms of it’s about the process,” Fleck said.

Fleck will get to face one of his coaching idols Saturday at noon.

Bowling Green at No. 6 Ohio State

Mike Jinks will be facing the No. 6 team in the nation in his first game as a college head coach. 

It's safe to say he's backing into his college career. 

Jinks, however, said he won’t be nervous to face this challenge.

“If you ask half the people in the country, I’m (going to be) shaking in my boots,” Jinks said when asked about facing Ohio State. “I’m just an old ball coach, though.”

Kent State at Penn State

Paul Haynes is excited to return to Beaver Stadium.

He coached in the Big Ten at Michigan State and Ohio State, from 2003-2011, so Haynes has experienced Happy Valley as a visitor on multiple occasions. This time, however, is a little different.

“This team is totally different than the teams from when I’ve been there before,” Haynes said. “I never faced coach (James) Franklin before.”

Haynes said he compares every new stadium he visits to Beaver Stadium, as when he was with Ohio State, Penn State held one of their first “White Out” games, in front of the awed Haynes.

Miami (OH) at No. 17 Iowa

Iowa surprised the country last season by making it to the Big Ten title game and earning a bid to the Rose Bowl.

But coach Chuck Martin knows the challenge his RedHawks face Saturday

“Obviously we’re excited, obviously we understand the challenge,” Martin said. “Iowa (is) coming off one of the best seasons, if not the best season in school history.”

Martin also said the Hawkeyes are one of the most physical teams in the nation.

Even if the challenge is tall for Miami, who went 3-9 last season, Martin said it is a guaranteed opportunity for his program to learn and improve.

@trevor_colgan

tc648714@ohio.edu