Mayor Steve Patterson speaks to the Ohio University College Democrats outside Alumni Gate on Friday during the last stop of the Hillary Clinton mayors' bus tour.

Democratic mayors' bus tour makes last stop in Athens

After four days on the road, a mayors' bus tour rallying support for Democratic nominee Hillary Clinton campaign made its last stop in Athens on Friday.

The tour featured 24 Democratic mayors from throughout the state, who travelled through 18 cities to promote Clinton’s policies and decry those of Donald Trump. At the Athens campaign stop, Mayor Steve Patterson met at Ohio University's Alumni Gate with Dayton Mayor Nan Whaley and Chillicothe Mayor Luke Feeney to register people to vote.

“It’s been amazing,” Whaley said. “People are really fighting hard here in Ohio.”

Patterson said that the tour ending in Athens was significant and marks the city as a political stronghold in Ohio.

“We’re traditionally a Democratic island in the southeastern portion of Ohio and we’ll continue to be, but for us to be the last stop along this tour is immensely important," Patterson said.

Anthony Eliopoulos, vice president of the OU College Democrats, said that the tour ending in Athens was important for the reputation of the city as a Democratic stronghold.

“In the party (and) in the state they realize how important Athens is.” Eliopoulos said. "They’re going to bring, literally a bus full of mayors, and they’re gonna help us register every student we can to vote.”

Patterson said he believes the city of Athens could sway the vote of the entire county.

“I think that we can, as long as we reach out throughout the county and effectively engage” he said.

@leckronebennett

bl646915@ohio.edu