Ohio linebacker Jovon Johnson runs the ball against Miami during the homecoming game Oct 10, 2015. (FILE)

X's and O's: Which Miami team will the Bobcats get?

Miami has been a tough team to get a read on this season.

After losing to FCS-opponent Eastern Illinois and Western Kentucky, Miami competed with Cincinnati last Saturday. Cincinnati led No. 6 Houston in the fourth quarter the week prior.

So which RedHawks team will show up?

Looking for its first win, it'd be smart to bet on the more competitive Miami squad.

Breakdown

Again using a YouTube video, I looked at the Miami/Iowa game in week one. Miami lost that game 45-21.

Teams have generally moved the ball well against the RedHawks this season, as they have allowed 45, 21, 31 and 27 points in their first four games this year. 

But Miami runs an interesting defense, however.

A 4-3 defense in name only, the RedHawks, from what I saw in watching their game against Iowa, run a 4-2-5. 

No. 21 De'Andre Montgomery is the "flex player" for the defense, lining up in the slot. At 6-foot-2 and 220 pounds, his athleticism and size lets coaches move him wherever they see the need.

Whenever Iowa would run two tight end formations, or, "double tights," Miami would line up in a 4-4 or switch to the typical 4-3. 

With the Bobcats in the pistol for the duration of games, I'd expect the RedHawks to stay in the 4-2-5, unless Ohio shows a run-heavy formation.

At the 1:21:41 mark of the video, Iowa, who loves to play power football, lines up in a single back set with a tight end to the left.

With two receivers to the right, Montgomery is split, though slightly shaded towards the wideout, between the slot receiver and the line of scrimmage. The RedHawks are in the prototypical 4-2-5 defense.

This is where Montgomery and the rest of the defense can be dangerous.

The entire defensive line (minus the right defensive end who drops into coverage) stunts to the right, the short-side of the field, and Montgomery and one of the middle linebackers blitz. The Iowa quarterback, C.J. Beathard, is able to stand tall in the pocket and get the ball off. 

He overthrows his intended target and takes a shot in the process.

The Bobcats will have to work through blitzes they haven't seen so far this season to keep their running game operating at a strong level. 

Judgement

Like I said yesterday, the Bobcats are simply more talented. 

Miami is allowing just under 400 yards per game on defense, including 31 points per game. Ohio has the better athletes on both sides of the ball.

Ohio should win this one, but it'll be slightly closer than people think.

But the RedHawks would love nothing more than to spoil a promising Ohio season.

Just ask the 2012 team. 

@Andrew_Gillis70

ag079513@ohio.edu