Keynote speaker Clarence Mingo (right) meets with (left to right) Jacob Hupp, a 2015 Ohio University alumnus, Nate Wheeland, a junior studying political science and Colton Henson, a 2014 Ohio University alumnus at the Athens GOP Dinner Thursday. 

Clarence Mingo, a 'rising star' of the state GOP, speaks in Athens

The Athens County Republican Party held a dinner Thursday night to support the campaigns of Representative Steve Stivers, R-15th District, Senator Rob Portman, R-OH, and state representative candidate Jay Edwards. None of those men could make it, but attendees did get to see a rising star in the Ohio GOP.

Clarence Mingo — the Franklin County auditor, who spoke at the event — is not running for office this fall, but he is traveling to other parts of the state to meet with citizens in anticipation of a state treasurer run in two years.

"There's a lot of energy in this part of our state," Mingo said at the event. "The Republicans in this part of our state are very active and busy and I commend you for that."

Mingo, who is African-American, based much of his speech on Hillary Clinton's remarks labeling Donald Trump supporters as a "basket of deplorables."

"In those remarks, Republicans were branded as racist, homophobic and xenophobic," Mingo said. "It burns my soul when I hear people describe conservative Republicans as racists."

In his speech, Mingo said conservatives should respect the views of others, but should not have to have those views forced upon them. He said the problem with the country was that there is too much anger, and argued that "love and fellowship" were the answers to that anger.

The message served as a contrast to the current presidential campaign, which Mingo described as "the harshest I've seen in my 44 years."

Before his speech, Mingo said he would not be supporting Trump because he felt that Trump did not represent Republican values.

But aside from the beginning of Mingo's speech and a few yard signs leaning against the wall, the events' speakers avoided discussion of the presidential election. Instead the focus was on down-ballot races.

Athens County Republican Party Chairman Pete Couladis said the purpose of the dinner was to raise money. A plate of dinner was $25, and a silent auction was held. But the event also allowed local Republicans to socialize with an important figure in the party's future.

"He's getting started, you have to get started early," Couladis said of Mingo. "He has to make his rounds, because he's not known down here."

Also in attendance were Matthew McFarland, who represents Athens County on the state Court of Appeals, and Jill Thompson, the county auditor. Thompson introduced Mingo to the dinner attendees.

"His friends and his colleagues know him as a leader who leads with passion, kindness and good purpose," Thompson said, before inviting Mingo to the podium.

Mingo's speech was well received by the attendees, except when he mistakenly named Ohio University's mascot as the Bearcats, which drew some playful boos from the audience.

"I guess this isn't Hamilton County," Mingo joked, which is the location of the University of Cincinnati Bearcats.

@torrantial

lt688112@ohio.edu