The Girl on the Train will be shown in theaters Oct. 7.

Catch these movies in theaters in October

Those who love to watch Halloween movies will be very disappointed this October.

Movies coming out with Halloween-focused plots are the minority for the spooky month. Instead, psychological thrillers and dramas will be hitting the big screen. Here are the five movies people should check out this October:

Oct. 7: The Girl on the Train — The movie follows Rachel Watson (Emily Blunt), an alcoholic and recent divorcee who witnesses an abduction from a train. As one can guess, Blunt’s character is the girl on the train, but her alcoholic tendencies make her unreliable for the detectives trying to figure out who took Megan Hipwell (Haley Bennett). The Girl on the Train, based on the novel by Paula Hawkins, will draw audiences in with its air of mystery. For those seeking to watch a movie that will keep them on the edge of their seats, this is that movie.

Oct. 7: The Birth of a Nation — This film follows Nat Turner (Nate Parker), a slave who leads an uprising in the American South during the Civil War. This film is a modernized remake of a film by the same name which was released in 1915. The film comes in a timely manner, as the United States faces racial tensions. Maybe this film can shed some light on what racial divides can do.

Oct. 14: The Accountant — Ben Affleck stars as a Christian Wolff, a freelance accountant that works for many companies known for criminal activity. When the Treasury Department's Crime Enforcement Division, led by Ray King (J.K. Simmons), closes in on Wolff to uncover the secrets he learned, Wolff has to protect himself from his clients. This is another movie that thrill-seekers will appreciate.

Oct. 21: Ouija: Origin of Evil — People wanting their scary-movie fix will have to settle for the sequel to the 2014 mediocre horror film. Instead of teenagers as the main characters, a mom and her two daughters find the Ouija board. The film appears to be set in the 1950s because of the attire and aesthetic of the sets. For people who have never seen a scary movie in a theater, this could be the perfect movie to get your feet wet.

Oct. 28: Inferno — The movie marks Tom Hanks’ third film in two months — Sully and Ithaca were released in September. Inferno, based on a novel penned by Dan Brown, is the third installment in the Robert Langdon series — The Da Vinci Code and Angels and Demons were the first two films. In the film, Langdon (Hanks) wakes up in an Italian hospital and is suffering from amnesia. The symbolist teams up with Sienna Brooks (Felicity Jones) to decipher a prophecy found in Dante’s Inferno. Fans of the series are likely to find adventure in the latest chapter.

@georgiadee35

gd497415@ohio.edu