Ohio redshirt senior defensive lineman Kurt Laseak (#99) sacks Texas State quarterback Tyler Jones on Saturday, September 3, 2016.

Football: Secondary is piece to Bobcats defensive success this weekend

The Bobcats' defense could not have started the 2016 season any better.

It was how they finished that's cause for concern.

Texas State earned just three yards in six plays on its first two drives. Ohio had caused a sack, a couple tackles for loss in the backfield. It was the model start to a defense striving to be one of the Mid-American Conference's best.

Then, Texas State poured on 56 points in the final three quarters and three overtime periods to beat Ohio 56-54. Texas State also gained 546 yards. 

“We really haven’t even talked about the game to be honest," Toran Davis said. "Everybody is moving on; everybody is focused on Kansas. The only thing that came out of it was that we need to communicate more, and that came from the younger guys even telling me. Everybody has to be accountable and everyone has to be ready to play against Kansas.”

The secondary, with the redshirt senior leading the way, must improve on its performance from last week. Kansas runs a similar style offense, which is designed to spread out the defense and throw the ball around the field.

Davis stressed that communication was an issue, but it will be resolved before this Saturday in Lawrence. 

“It’s getting a lot better; confidence is a lot higher," he said. "We played with confidence in that game, but now we really know we can be out there playing. Everybody is ready to go.”

With an improved secondary, the Bobcats will be able to keep the rejuvenated Jayhawks in check Saturday. If the secondary stays in neutral, it could be more of the same –– and Ohio could be facing a deadly 0-3 hole with No. 17 Tennessee waiting in the wings.

“Well we got to play better defensively, no question about it," coach Frank Solich said. "We can't allow that many total yards, we can't allow that many passing yards, they can't have big plays and those numbers that they had. So we’re kind of caught in between right now in terms of finding what we’re all about in terms of being able to stop the run, being able to stop the pass."

Ohio will have to step up in the secondary to let its stout front seven go to work. Tarell Basham and Quentin Poling will thrive if given secondary support and time to get after the quarterback. 

But just ask Davis. He'll tell you the unit is ready. Ready to win.

“Every day we come out here just trying to win, win one game at a time," he said. "Right now, it’s 0-0. It’s time to go get 1-0."

@Andrew_Gillis70

ag079513@ohio.edu