Alexis Milesky (11) lunges for the ball against Highpoint in Chessa Field on August 28th, 2016. MATT STARKEY|FOR THE POST

Soccer: Bobcats off to 0-2 start in MAC play

Ohio dropped its second game of Mid-American Conference play Sunday to Toledo with a final score of 2-1. This was the Bobcats’ fourth loss in a row as their record falls to 2-6-1.

Both teams played physically throughout, and Ohio played with the competitive nature it has been known for, but Toledo was able to get on the board early, scoring in the 18th minute. 

The Bobcats bounced back in the 22nd minute when Megan Niebuhr took a free kick and Alivia Milesky converted it into a header shot, tying the game up at 1-1. It was Milesky’s first career goal.

Toledo and Ohio continued to take several shots as the first half wound down and went into halftime with balanced score. There were roughly 20 minutes left in the match when the Rockets scored again and took the lead. From there, the Bobcats weren’t able to recover.

Erin Beurket has continued to impress inside the net for Ohio, allowing two goals on 17 shots today while making six saves, four of which were in the first half. The Rockets ended up taking more shots than the Bobcats, outshooting them 17-8. Toledo was also able to create opportunities for itself by getting seven corner kicks in comparison to Ohio’s one.

Coach Aaron Rodgers said the game was a tough one for his team and Toledo certainly proved itself physically.

“We battled hard,” Rodger said in an Ohio Bobcats report. “Once again we battled back from a goal down to score. It was a tight second half and we worked hard and never quit and fought until the end.”

Rodgers added that he is looking forward to continuing MAC play at home Friday against Western Michigan after a good week of training. Tipoff is set for 4 p.m. at Chessa Field.

@LaurenJYoung94

ly688912@ohio.edu