Bill Holman entertains Katelyn Armitage, Katie Butler, Marsha Butler and Tim Butler in Baker Ballroom during a themed dinner theater event for Parents Weekend in 2015. (FILE)

Parents, students enjoy sports games, magic show over Parents Weekend

Moms and dads got to check up on their students and get a taste of college life in Athens during this year’s Parents Weekend.

“It’s been fun,” Alex Holbert, a freshman studying pre-med, said. “It’s been good kind of showing them what I’ve been doing the past couple weeks.”

Ohio University Parents Weekend spanned from Friday through Sunday and included events such as ziplining, a football game and a magic show.

On Saturday, over 22 thousand fans, including many parents, filled Peden Stadium for the Ohio football game against Gardner-Webb. Holbert went to the game after a night out at The Pigskin Bar and Grille and Red Brick Tavern with his parents.

“Yeah, we went in there, but we didn’t stay,” Patty Holbert, Alex’s mother, said.

Several other sports teams were in action, with the volleyball, field hockey and hockey teams all playing in Athens during the weekend.

Matt Hongell, a sophomore studying music production, and his parents attended the Ohio hockey game on Friday night. Before the game, Hongell had lunch with his parents at one of his favorite restaurants – Casa Nueva Restaurant and Cantina.

“We kept hearing all about it,” Jennifer Hongell, Matt’s mom, said. “I told my husband, ‘I’m not ready for dinner yet.’ I’m still full from lunch!”

The weekend also included many other events, including a Monty Python and the Holy Grail quote-along at the Athena Cinema and a magic show from Adam Trent at the Templeton-Blackburn Alumni Memorial Auditorium. Trent performed on Broadway in The Illusionists, and has appeared on television shows such as Good Morning America and America’s Got Talent.

“We went to the magician … who was very good, he was very entertaining. We enjoyed that,” Susan Rorris, the mother of a senior studying business economics and a sophomore studying engineering, said.

On Saturday morning, parents and students participated in a Parents Weekend Group Run presented by the OU Trail Running Club. The rest of the day’s activities included a hiking trip in Hocking Hills, zip lining and, later in the evening, a campfire and stargazing event at the Ridges.

During Saturday night, many people returned to MedAud for yet another show, this one being from Second City, an improv comedy theater group originating from Chicago which has previously come to OU.

“We’ve enjoyed (the weekend),” Steve Mack, the director of Facilities Management who was attending Parents Weekend events, said. “We’re local … but our son goes here and it's been a great weekend.”

Students were able to escape the dining halls and go Uptown to the many restaurants with their parents for meals.

“We got to go to Union Street Diner, which is my favorite place, it’s so so good,” Rorris said. “And we went to Whit’s (Frozen Custard) twice.”

Parents Weekend was full of events and activities for all parents and family members to enjoy with their students.

“It was just really nice to spend time with my kids,” Rorris said.

@alexmccann21

am622914@ohio.edu

@katherineemaria

kv266915@ohio.edu