Casey Kinsey, political director for the OU College Republicans, and David Parkhill, president of the OU College Republicans, pose for a portrait on September 27, 2016 at their apartment. Both Kinsey and Parkill are student volunteers for Donald Trump's campaign.

Trump volunteers may face criticism while campaigning

David Parkhill, the president of Ohio University College Republicans, said the "Make America Great Again" hat he wore while at the Involvement Fair at the beginning of the semester was met with criticism from a student.

"(The student) said condescendingly, 'So you guys are for Trump? Why don't you tell me why you are for Trump?' " Parkhill said.

When OU students are volunteering for Donald Trump's campaign, it is not uncommon for them to face strong criticism from their peers. But those volunteers for the Republican presidential nominee don’t let that stop them from showing their support on campus.

Casey Kinsey, the political director for OU College Republicans, said he and fellow supporters are often confronted with dramatic accusations when they're campaigning.

“It’s the typical ‘you’re racist, you’re a bigot, you’re a xenophobe,’ ” he said.

Kinsey said though people sometimes react with anger and disgust, he is able to engage in a polite conversation.

“A lot of times … I’ll get into a civil discussion, and usually it leaves them off knowing a little bit more,” he said.

Parkhill said it is important for Trump volunteers on campus to be educated and be ready to speak their minds when challenged.

“Just having a list of talking points that you believe in is really beneficial to combatting this stereotype,” Parkhill said. “Especially because there are a lot of uneducated Trump supporters out there, and I think that gives us our bad name and is part of that stigma, so being the opposite of the stereotype really, really helps.”

When having discussions with people, Parkhill said his main topics of discussion are Trump's proposed wall on the Mexican border as well as securing the nation from external threats. He added that having an outsider in Washington, D.C., with business experience would be beneficial for the country.

Disapproval is not the only challenge Trump volunteers on campus face. The work, which involves going door-to-door, making phone calls and participating in other activities, can sometimes match that of an on-campus job.

Ryan Evans, vice president of OU College Republicans, said he sometimes works up to 20 hours a week volunteering for the Trump campaign.

“It’s certainly not easy,” Evans said. “But you just have to make sure your day is regimented.”

Evans said by planning his day out and staying organized, he is able to balance all of his school work and activities with the campaign.

Kinsey also said he has been able to make time to volunteer despite being busy with school and other activities.

Like The Post on Facebook to keep up with the most recent Athens and OU news

“It’s hard to balance organizations, work, classes and everything else, but it’s good that I can find time to help with his campaign,” Kinsey said.

Parkhill said, overall, he has not had many negative experiences while volunteering for Trump around campus, pointing out that even when people disagree with him, they were still civil and respectful.

“At the end of the day,” Parkhill said, “We’re all Bobcats.”

@LeckroneBennett

bl646915@ohio.edu