Police Blotter

Police Blotter: Masked man knocks over abortion signs, individual arrested for making 'unreasonable noises' in Crawford

With the first five weeks of Fall Semester in the past, the time has come for many students to take a weekend away from Athens and return to the familiar comforts of home, departing campus in droves by GoBus, carpool or mom’s minivan.

Unfortunately for one student, however, a visit from parents came early, when they were called to pick up their son at the office of the Ohio University Police Department following a drunken escapade.

Early in the morning on Sept. 20, OUPD officers were dispatched to Gamertsfelder Hall in response to reports of an unresponsive male in a restroom. Upon arrival, officers found the individual unsteady on his feet, with “lethargic speech,” and smelling of “an intoxicating beverage,” according to the police report.

After determining that he was under the influence of alcohol, officers arrested the individual and transported him to the department office. As he was found to be under age 18, his parents were notified of the situation, and told officers that they were “en route” to pick up their son.

The incident was one of five alcohol-related arrests made during the past week, in addition to seven drug charges, six reports of criminal mischief, two reports of theft, an incidence of vandalism at various campus locations and one report of persistent disorderly conduct.

Noodle Nuisance

While walking near Bromley Hall, an officer came across two females on the sidewalk behind Fusion Noodle Company, one of whom was attempting to help the other up from the ground.

As they saw the officer approaching, the individual on the ground attempted to regain her footing, only to fall almost “headlong” onto the pavement. When asked to provide a source of identification, the woman handed the officer a driver’s license, which was determined by the officer to be fake, according to a police report.

The officer, who observed that the individual in question smelled strongly of alcohol and had “watery, bloodshot eyes,” determined that the friend was unable to safely care for her.

She was arrested for underage consumption and public intoxication, racking up an additional charge for possession of a fictitious ID before being transported to Southeastern Ohio Regional Jail, according to the report.

Man in Black

As anti-abortion group “Created Equal” held a demonstration at Howard Park on the afternoon of Sept. 16, OUPD received a call Sept. 19 regarding an individual who was “knocking over signs” that displayed photos of aborted fetuses.

Though the police report did not describe the incident extensively, a previous Post report includes video of a masked man, dressed in all black, hitting signs with what appears to be a nightstick. According to the police report, the incident is categorized as criminal mischief and is currently under investigation.

Rude Awakening

While most students were sleeping soundly in their beds in the early hours morning on Sept. 24, residents of Crawford Hall were greeted with an unsettling wake-up call.

Signup for Post Haste, our daily newsletter, to stay up to date with local news, the day's weather and uptown drink specials.

At approximately 2:30 a.m., officers responded to reports that an individual had been causing “inconvenience, annoyance and alarm” to others by loudly making “unreasonable noises” while inside the building. According to a police report, the man persisted in making such noises and engaging in “violent turbulent behavior,” even after officers had warned him to stop.

In response to the situation, the individual was subsequently arrested and transported to Southeastern Ohio Regional Jail, according to the report.

@lauren__fisher

lf966614@ohio.edu