Council Member Patrick Mcgee speaks at a city council meeting Monday, August 22, 2016. (CAMILLE FINE | FOR THE POST)

Police department contract, pool funding on deck for this week's council meeting

Athens City Council will continue to review an ordinance Monday that could alter a nearly 30-year-old contract between the Athens Police Department and Ohio University Police Department.

The ordinance, which would allow the two departments to provide mutual aid without billing one another for hours, drew skepticism from Councilman Pat McGee, I-At Large, when it was first introduced two weeks ago.

“I don’t believe this agreement is appropriate,” McGee said.

APD Chief Tom Pyle requested the revision at a council meeting last month.

Currently, OUPD provides APD with 1,000 hours worth of aid per year. In comparison, APD provides OUPD with 300 hours worth of aid. In the past, the city of Athens has charged OUPD $10,000 annually for the aid they provide, according to a previous Post report.

The language of the agreement would also allow APD to assist OUPD in more instances. As it stands now, the departments can only offer assistance during "major events." The new agreement would change that language to "major events and emergencies.”

Councilman Peter Kotses, D-At Large expressed support for the revised contract.

“I think it's being a good neighbor and it is the right thing to do,” Kotses said.

The current contract is set to expire Oct. 25. Council will address the ordinance at Monday's meeting before bringing it to a vote before the end of next month.

Halloween preparations are also on the agenda for Monday’s meeting.

The ordinance proposing street closures for the Athens Uptown Business Association Trick or Treat will likely pass without conflict this year because it is set after the block party. Last year, the scheduling of the event drew conflict because it was slated to occur before the block party, potentially depriving Uptown businesses of pre-Halloween shoppers.

“This year it should go more smoothly,"  Council President Chris Knisley said. "I don’t foresee any problems, because it is happening at a later time."

The date for this year’s Trick or Treat is Oct. 31.

Council will also continue funding talks for the municipal swimming pool.

The city is planning to withdraw about $7.3 million in bonds to pay for the immediate construction of an outdoor swimming pool.

Then, over the span of 20 years, the city will pay back those bonds through the 0.1 percent income tax increase passed in 2014.

The levy will raise a total of about $17 million, and the city will have to pay back a total of about $9 million, including interest, Knisely said.

@BrookEndale

be278114@ohio.edu