Shameless plugs in the first presidential debate; anti-fracking charter struck down

Here’s what you need to know for Tuesday, Sept. 27, 2016:

News from The Post

• A proposed anti-fracking county charter amendment will not appear on the Athens County ballot as a result of a decision by the Ohio Supreme Court. (The Post)
  • City Council talked about the construction on West Union Street Monday night. (The Post)

Good Morning,

Presidential candidates Hillary Clinton and Donald Trump came head to head on a debate stage for the first time Monday night.

Clinton and Trump debated over the economy, national security and racial inequality. Beyond talking about their policy ideas, though, the candidates talked about themselves and made plugs to the audience.

No more than 30 minutes into the debate, both Trump and Clinton pushed viewers to their websites. Clinton’s website featured fact-checking of Trump’s statements, and Trump’s website featured, well, nothing, as it was down, but was brought back up before the debate ended.

Promotions didn’t stop at websites, as Clinton also urged viewers to check out Stronger Together, the book written by her and her running mate Tim Kaine.

It's not clear how many books Clinton sold last night or how much web traffic the candidates induced, but if Twitter is any indication, it is clear that viewers were aware of the candidates’ salesmanship.

Later on in the debate, Trump brought up his recently-opened luxury hotel on Pennsylvania Avenue in D.C.

Interested in getting Post Haste sent directly to your email address each morning? Register here.

Weather

Starting to feel like fall. High of 75 degrees today. (Courtesy of Weather.com)

Scores and Game Times

None to report, but if you’ve been wondering how the men’s golf team has been doing, we’ve got you covered.

You might also want to know …

A Houston lawyer opened fire on commuters on Monday morning, injuring at least nine people before being shot dead by police (Reuters).

Former Wells Fargo employees filed a lawsuit seeking $2.6 billion for allegedly being punished for not breaking the law (NPR).

For more global news, check out The New York Timesdaily briefing.

@M_PECKable

mp172114@ohio.edu