A wall outside of Court Street Coffee displays some fall flavors

Uptown Eats: #FallThings are back

The leaves are starting to change. Flannels are an everyday accessory. Shaving becomes optional. But most importantly, pumpkin flavored everything is back.

With the crispness of fall, what is more comforting than clutching a pumpkin spice latte from Starbucks while wearing Uggs on your walk to class? Nothing — except maybe a bigger pumpkin spice latte.

The Starbucks seasonal favorite has been a fall staple for 13 years now, according to The Washington Post, and generated about $100 million in revenue just last year according to Forbes

But a comforting combination of cinnamon, clove, nutmeg, ginger and occasionally actual pumpkin flavoring catches the attention of more than just coffee shops.

Items such as alcohol and Oreo cookies have hopped on the fall flavor train, as have local bakeries and of course local coffee shops. Being around for a limited time only increases the hype and gets the people going.

In Athens, shops like Court Street Coffee and Brenen’s are serving up piping hot cups of pumpkin concoctions. If sugary drinks aren’t your thing, Fluff Bakery has finally brought back its dangerously delicious pumpkin cookies just in time for fall. 

If you think you can avoid the celebration of fall, I’m sorry to say, there’s no way out. Everywhere you go, it will follow. A pumpkin around every corner, watching, waiting. Embrace it while you can because soon enough it will be time for peppermint to step up to the plate.

Pumpkin pie, pumpkin flavored candles, pumpkin ice cream, pumpkin deodorizer, pumpkin spice vodka, pumpkin donuts and of course pumpkin spice lattes. The list goes on and on. 

rg599913@ohio.edu