Ohio redshirt senior defensive lineman Kurt Laseak (#99) sacks Texas State quarterback Tyler Jones on Saturday, September 3, 2016.

X's and O's: Ohio's young secondary must stop a pass-heavy Kansas offense Saturday

If you've ever watched Big 12 football, you know what kind of offense you'll see: A fast paced, Run-and-Shoot offense designed to run as many plays in as short a time as possible. Kansas is no different.

Sound familiar Bobcat fans?

In a similar situation as last week's against Texas State, Ohio will take on another speedy shotgun offense this week–– this time on the road. 

The Kansas offense is flying high, running off a 55-6 win over hapless Rhode Island. It was the Jayhawks first win since 2014, which snapped a 15-game losing streak. 

"Offensively, they have really good skill players and they utilize them well," Ohio coach Frank Solich said. 

It will be an interesting week for the Bobcats, as Kansas has willingly used three different quarterbacks in the past. Junior Montell Cozart got the majority of the reps against Rhode Island, going 18-25 for 199 yards. Sophomore Ryan Willis and freshman Stanley Carter also got reps.

Breakdown

The Jayhawks primarily used Cozart, so looking at this YouTube clip from last year's game against Oklahoma, I looked at how Kansas runs its offense. Video from Rhode Island/Kansas was not available.

Cozart is the biggest running threat of the three quarterbacks, though he only rushed four times for 17 yards.

It was difficult to find too many plays where Cozart played–– he only threw 105 passes last season, compared to• Willis' 315. 

The offense doesn't change too much, however, when different quarterbacks hit the field.

Looking at a touchdown play for the Jayhawks, skip to 39:17 of the video. The Jayhawks are down 21-0 at the time, but driving on the Sooners. It's 3rd and 10.

Kansas lines up in a power pistol formation–– very similar to the one Ohio runs regularly. A fullback is split to the right of the quarterback, Willis, with the running back directly behind him.

The Jayhawks only send three receivers on routes, as both backs in the backfield stay to block. 

The 'X' receiver at the bottom of the screen runs what looks to be a corner route towards the back of the end zone. The 'Y', or slot, receiver replicates his route on the top. The 'Z' receiver, however, runs a seven-yard dig route. 

The Z receiver was Willis' first read, he looked toward him first and waited for the route to develop. 

Willis puts the ball high and outside; an absolutely perfect throw. The wide receiver leaps to grab the ball, right as the Oklahoma cornerback tries to jump the route. 

It's a dangerous throw for Willis, as an interception on that route would likely be a pick six the other way. 

Willis converts though, and the receiver turns upfield for a touchdown.

Judgement

The Jayhawks aren't very good. They just aren't.

Second-year coach David Beaty has only won one game in two years, last week's win over an FCS school. 

But to think that Kansas, who now has a reason to feel good about itself, won't present the Bobcats with a challenge is naive. 

It would have been easy to pick a failure of a play for Kansas, but, as seen by the video above, Willis (and Cozart) have the ability to pick apart a defense. 

Ohio's young secondary will have to improve on last week where it allowed 440 yards passing to Texas State. Ohio has the talent to stop the Kansas offense, it'll just need to be put to use. 

Kansas doesn't run the ball often, they rushed 35 times against Rhode Island, but mostly to burn the clock in a blowout. This week will be largely on the secondary's shoulders to stop the Kansas attack.

Read tomorrow for a breakdown of the Kansas defense. The Post will do a weekly series of "X's and O's," breaking down what Ohio's opponent will likely run in the game upcoming that week.

@Andrew_Gillis70

ag079513@ohio.edu