Snapchat update makes it easier for students to create custom geofilters

With more than 100 different clubs and organizations on Ohio University's campus, it can be quite a challenge for students to get the word out about their club.

Fortunately, thanks to an update to Snapchat’s website (not the app, the website), it has just become easier.

In February, Snapchat started allowing users to submit their own Geofilters, Business Insider reported. Unfortunately, the filters could only be made with image editing software. But in late August, Snapchat added Geofilter templates and art tools to its website, allowing anyone to simply log in and build their own filter. That made the process much easier.

Currently there are two types of Geofilters on Snapchat: Community and On-Demand.

Community Geofilters are intended for places such as cities, schools, local landmarks and other public locations. Community Geofilters, once approved by the Snapchat team, will be permanent and will not cost the creator any money. But there are stipulations: Community Geofilters must be original artwork and they cannot display brand logos.

One example of a Community Geofilter is the “Athens Happens” filter, which was designed by junior Sarah Stier. She designed the Geofilter in early 2015 with Photoshop, and it was approved that summer, Stier said. 

“OU is a party school and everyone knows that,” Stier, a junior studying photojournalism, said. “Sometimes you end up doing something crazy ... and that's something where I would say ‘Athens Happens.’ ”

“I feel famous,” Stier added. “But not really because no one knows that I made it.”

There are other Community Geofilters scattered around OU's campus, including various filters for the school itself. Some dorms, as well as sorority and fraternity houses, have Community Geofilters. 

Those who wish to use Geofilters to help promote an organization must use On-Demand Geofilters, which can contain brand logos. On-Demand Geofilters however, cost money and are priced based on the area they cover and the duration of the filter. For example, it is about $8 an hour to pay for a Geofilter on College Green.

There are limitations to On-Demand Geofilters, as well. It would probably be impossible for a student organization to pay for a Geofilter that covers the entire OU campus because the area must not exceed 5 million square feet.

Chipotle Mexican Grill and Buffalo Wild Wings in Athens have On-Demand Geofilters near their store locations. In addition, students have reported that occasionally houses on Mill Street will pay for a filter if a party is being thrown.

See any geofilters we missed? Take a picture and send it to Kevin with the location. Follow The Post on Snapchat at thepostathens. 

@thenextbigming

kp003216@ohio.edu