Ohio University Student Senate President Hannah Clouser and Chief of Staff Landon Lama welcome returning members from last year as well as students interested in joining Student Senate on Wednesday evening in Walter Hall. (AUSTIN JANNING | FOR THE POST)

Student Senate: OU President McDavis proposes cultural awareness training

Ohio University President Roderick McDavis proposed a plan to combat racism and discrimination at OU during Wednesday’s Student Senate meeting.

McDavis addressed the "offensive" imagery painted on the graffiti wall by Bentley Hall early last week.

“We’re at a point where we ought to be beyond messages,” McDavis said. “Let this senate be the first Student Senate that says ‘We’re going to start taking action.’ ”

McDavis has proposed a partnership with Student Senate on an initiative he calls CATS: Cultural Awareness Training for Students. He has already approved the creation of the project and said it is up to the Senate to decide what the project will entail. McDavis said he would prefer speakers, workshops or a program similar to Alcohol Edu rather than a class.

“This is not the first time we’ve had this conversation,” SAC Commissioner Ellenore Holbrook said. “This is something a lot of groups have been looking for, so I think backlash will be limited.”

McDavis said he hopes to bring Faculty Senate into the partnership as well. He said he expects OU’s student organizations — more than 500 of them — to all get involved in CATS.

“I’m empowering you,” McDavis said. “Once we get a framework for CATS, we’re going to implement it. We’re all going to be in this together.”

As it is McDavis’ final year as OU president, the Board of Trustees is actively searching for the next president. McDavis urged senators to make their voices heard as to what they want to see in the next OU president.

Later in the meeting, a resolution to change SAC members' attendance requirements failed. 

If the resolution had passed, the commission would have two votes in senate as opposed to its former 10

"SAC maintains about a fourth of Senate's vote," Holbrook said. "I see this as incredibly problematic in the ways that we are addressing the needs of students."

Senate was largely divided in voting for the passage of the resolution.

“I feel like there was a lot of confusion here,” International Affairs Commissioner Nino Abolola said. “Points were made that didn’t have anything to do with our resolution.”

Senate also heard from Vice Provost for Global Affairs LJ Edmonds, who presented on the Strategic Framework for Globalization. Edmonds discussed the importance of expanding OU's global mindset.

Part of the framework will include workshops that help faculty globalize their curriculums and a collaborative international online learning initiative.

“International students add to our diverse community,” Edmonds said. “It’s all about getting involved with partners around the world so we’re all working toward building friendships on every continent.”

By the time the meeting was adjourned, nine of 10 of the resolutions had passed.

“This is probably going to be our longest meeting,” Chief of Staff Landen Lama said.

an631715@ohio.edu

@anastasianicc