Football: Q & A with 'The Daily Beacon' sports editor

Throughout the football season, The Post will talk to the sports editor or the football writer from the opposing school. This week, the assistant sports editor of The Post, Andrew Gillis, talked to Trenton Duffer, the sports editor from the Tennessee student newspaper, The Daily Beacon. Here's some of what Duffer said:

On Jalen Hurd and Joshua Dobbs:

“They’re kind of the bread and butter of the Vols offense. Dobbs is a mobile quarterback. He’s not gonna do the three step drop and throw the ball. He’s gonna try to escape the pocket and find open lanes to run in. He’s a dynamic quarterback for sure, a captain on the team, so Dobbs is one of those four main captains.

Hurd kind of keeps to himself. He’s a bruising back, but he has some downfield speed. Last I heard he was 6-foot-4, 240 pounds, but there’s some people who say he’s pushing 250 now. He’s a monster of a person.”

On the defensive line:

“The defensive line is a very deep group. They’ve got Kendal Vickers in there, Kahlil McKenzie ...The main piece on that defensive line is defensive end Derek Barnett. He’s an All-American – he’s a scary dude. He’s a junior right now, but I’d say if he were to enter the draft, I could easily see him going top 10. He’s a really important piece to that defense. Offensive lines have double and even triple teamed him at times.”

On the Linebackers:

“Jalen Reeves-Maybin is the Mike Linebacker, and he’s just a beast. I’d say he goes one of the first three rounds of the draft next year. He’s quick, he hits hard, and he got ejected in the first game of the season against Appalachian State. (Darrin) Kirkland Jr. is the other linebacker, but he’ll be out Saturday. That’s kind of a big blow. He’s only a sophomore, and he’s really stepped into that linebacker spot really well.”

On the Secondary:

“The secondary is good ... (but) With Kirkland’s injury, now it’s the linebackers (for this Saturday). But when the team is healthy, the secondary is (most) vulnerable, (even though) It’s not really bad. Cam Sutton at the No. 1 corner spot – he’s a lockdown corner. He’ll go late-first, mid-first round in the draft, very good defender, ball-hawk, got great eyes."

On the mood going into this weekend after having played at Bristol and now playing a MAC school:

“I don’t think the team thinks this, but I think everyone kind of expects the Vols to handle business. At the same time, (Coach) Butch Jones has said that you’ve got to be careful because Ohio played Appalachian State really well last year. I think they’re being cautious.”

On a possible trap game for the Volunteers:

“They have Florida next week. They’ve lost 11 straight to Florida. As a fan, it hurts. We despise Florida here at Tennessee. Losing 11 straight to Florida is definitely on their minds, but I don’t think they’re going to overlook Ohio though. They know Ohio has a lot of maturity on their team. Josh Dobbs said “this week’s game is the most important game of the season because it’s this week’s game.”

On a potential upset:

“An upset, I’d say it’s not in the cards. I don’t think the Vols will lose this one, but I do think it’ll be closer than people think. I don’t think it’s gonna be 52-3 or anything crazy like that. The Vols will handle it and play well. I think Ohio is gonna get points just because they’re a mature team."

His prediction: 38-23 Vols.

@Andrew_Gillis70

ag079513@ohio.edu