Angela Perley and The Howlin' Moons will perform at Casa Nueva Restaurant & Cantina at 10 p.m. Friday.

Weekender Briefs: Alumni can celebrate Homecoming with sports and music

Homecoming Weekend is nearly upon Ohio University. And like every year, it will draw in a cavalcade of Bobcat alumni driving crossover SUVs and touting much-desired financial stability. But even if students have no funds to spend, there’s a variety of events to get in the Bobcat spirit.

At 9 a.m. on Saturday, the university will reopen the Class Gateway. The annual parade will return to Court Street at 10 a.m. and will be followed by tailgates hosted by several colleges from the university. At 2 p.m., Ohio will take on MAC competitor Bowling Green. The game is free for students and $35 to $40 for non-students.

Along with Homecoming, the weekend brings many other shows and entertainment. On Friday, Angela Perley & The Howlin’ Moons will play at Casa Nueva, and DJ Barticus will play an early-2000s-themed set at The Union Bar & Grill.

On Saturday, Casa Nueva will host the Annual Bobcat Alumni Jazz Jam, in which alumni will sight-read music in a big band performance. Sunday offers a chance to volunteer and enjoy the trails with Trail Maintenance Day, hosted in collaboration between the Southeastern Ohio Trail Runners and the Ohio University Physical Therapy program.

The weather will rest in the high 60s, offering the perfect chance to take in the university and surrounding scenery.

If You Go:

What: Y2K Millennium Dance Party with DJ Barticus

Where: The Union Bar & Grill, 18 W. Union St.

When: 9 p.m., Friday

Admission: Cover charge for those under 21 years old

DJ Barticus will spin crowd-favorite jams from the dawn of the new millennium from 1999 to 2005. 

If You Go:

What: Football: Ohio University vs. Bowling Green

Where: Peden Stadium

When: 2 p.m., Saturday

Admission: $35-$40, free for students

The 3-2 Ohio Bobcats are hosting the 1-4 Bowling Green Falcons at Peden Stadium. The tailgate begins at 11:30 a.m., and various colleges at the university will hold alumni tailgates.

The Bobcats are coming off a 17-7 win in the Battle of the Bricks against Miami University and will face another MAC opponent: Bowling Green.

For coverage of games over the weekend, check out The Post's sports coverage.

If You Go:

What: 2016 Bobcat Alumni Jazz Jam

Where: Casa Nueva Restaurant & Cantina, 6 W. State St.

When: 10 p.m., Saturday

Admission: Cover charge of $2 to $3

Musically gifted Ohio University alumni will gather at Casa Nueva on Saturday night for the Annual Bobcat Alumni Jazz Jam.

Matthew James, an OU professor of saxophone and jazz studies, said each year the evening brings alumni back to campus to take parts in a big band performance and to casually socialize with current students.

James said 20 to 30 alumni have signed up to take part in the performance. So far, the trumpet section has the most players.

“It will be a sight-reading performance,” James said. “And current students can switch off with alumni if they get tired.”

He said the numbers for the evening include John Coltrane, a few Latin tunes and a New Orleans groove.

Two students from OU’s School of Music will take the stage before the main event.

James said there will be a cover charge of either $2 or $3.

If You Go:

What: Trail Maintenance Day

Where: Strouds Run State Park, 11661 State Park Rd.

When: 1 p.m., Sunday

Admission: Free

The Southeastern Ohio Trail Runners are collaborating with the Ohio University Physical Therapy program for an afternoon of trail maintenance at Strouds Run State Park. This is the second year the two groups have partnered for the event.

It is scheduled in recognition of Global Physical Therapy Day of Service, which officially falls on Oct. 17 this year.

The volunteers will be trimming overgrown sections of many miles of trail at Strouds Run State Park. The event will also provide an opportunity to enjoy the crisp October weather and take in the changing colors of the leaves.

@LukeFurmanLog

lf491413@ohio.edu