Athens quarterback Brendan Sano shakes his head after an incomplete pass during the Athens vs Canal Winchester. Athens lost 14-21 on September 2, 2016. (LAUREN BACHO | PHOTO EDITOR)

High School Football: Big plays, overlooking rival Logan hurt Athens on Friday night

LOGAN — Athens made quite a few mistakes Friday night against Logan.

The Bulldogs had several penalties that continued to plague them late in the game, they couldn’t move the ball efficiently while being up two touchdowns to close out a win, and they gave up too many big plays, as they have all season.

But the biggest mistake Friday night was overlooking Logan.

“I told them how they can’t take anything for granted,” coach Ryan Adams said. “Doesn’t matter; in southeast Ohio and certainly in rivalry games like this, you have to come ready to play hard for four quarters and get a victory.

The previously-winless Chieftains knew they were the underdog on paper going into Friday night. After the 31-30 victory over Athens, Logan proved why rivalry games are important. Logan proved the other five games before Athens meant nothing.

“The longer you allow opponents like this to hang around, bad things can happen — and they did," Adams said.

And for Athens, well, it was one extra point away from going into overtime, but two crucial plays from improving to 5-1.

For the first time this season, Athens faced a team that can threaten with the pass. Once Logan found that weak spot in Athens, Logan took advantage.

Within minutes of Athens taking the lead, Logan rallied back on the first play from scrimmage after the kick-off and had a 52-yard touchdown run by Jeremy Minor.

Athens seemed to silence Logan. Athens went up two touchdowns early in the third quarter and it looked like the Bulldogs would be able to seal the win. But Logan wasn’t ready to give up just yet.

The second big play of the game came late in the third quarter after an Athens fake field goal turned into six.

Logan quarterback, Brady Walsh, scrambled out of the pocket. As he neared the sideline, on the rollout play, he found wide out, Tommy Breining for a 76 yard touchdown pass. Blown coverage. Athens’ secondary has had trouble keeping up with wide receivers all season.

Just a week ago, the Bulldogs were thankful for Naylan Yates’ overthrowing his receivers. This week, Walsh was on target.

The third big play of the game came on Logan’s next possession. It was a controversial play, too. 

Walsh dropped back to pass, it was a quick pass and low. From the stands, it looked like the ball hit the ground, but the play wasn’t blown dead. 

38 yards later, Riley Nelson broke several tackles and found the end zone to take the a 31-24 lead.

The final big play of the game was Athens chance to tie the game. After going down the field in three minutes, Brendan Sano threw a perfectly placed ball to Robert Dickelman.

All Athens needed to do was kick the extra point, and make it.

“I gave it some consideration,” Adams said of potentially going for two. “I felt like we were going to get the better hand in OT.”

A blocked extra point didn’t give his team the opportunity to get the win in overtime.

As the Bulldogs get ready to prepare for Meigs County next Friday, there’s one thing the Bulldogs will keep in mind: don’t take any team for granted.

@wynstonw_

ww773412@ohio.edu