City officials are considering a concept for a new connector street between East Park Drive and Home Street on the town's east end. (Provided via the City of Athens)

Residents "appalled" by proposed road near bikepath

For some students and residents of Athens, the Hockhocking Adena Bikeway is a place to escape the noise and bustle of traffic — but that might be changing soon.

City officials are considering a concept for a new connector street between East Park Drive and Home Street on the town's east end, which would either circumvent or cut behind the Athens Public Library to connect to Home Street, Athens Mayor Steve Patterson said. But some argue the proposed connector threatens the green space by the library.

The connection is an attempt to prevent traffic congestion that might occur in the area after the city opens the new municipal pool in 2018. The city is also relocating the farmers market to the current dog park in the area.

Councilwoman Jennifer Cochran, D-At Large, said the road would have numerous negative effects on Athens.

“I think that putting in a connector there would have a negative impact on both the library and its patrons, as well as the Near Eastside neighborhood, and its residents who would be impacted by an increased flow of traffic,” Cochran said. “I also think it would have a negative impact on our treasured bikeway. Many people enjoy using that, in part, because it is removed from traffic.”

Paula Marx, who lives on Athens’ east side and walks her dog on the path, said she was “appalled” by the concept.

“It’s the worst idea I’ve heard,” Marx said. “We’re just wasting money in Athens.”

Marx said if the relocation of the farmers market causes the construction of the connector street, she would boycott the market.

“I’ve always been a supporter of the farmers market, but if they put this access road for the farmers market, I’m never going there,” she said.

Patterson said he had already fielded several complaints.

“I have received a number of letters from citizens in that neighborhood and elsewhere saying that they had concerns about the Home Street connection,” Patterson said.

Patterson said the road is currently only an idea.

“It’s just a concept," he said. "There is nothing moving forward, there is no planning going on for that.”

@leckronebennett

bl646915@ohio.edu