Chuck's Collegiate Politics: Colin Kaepernick is still causing controversy

I am still pretty amazed by the whole uproar surrounding Colin Kaepernick kneeling during the national anthem. It also amazes me how it seems like the only people who are up in arms about it are baby boomers.

Anyway, if you don’t really follow the news, a quarterback of the San Francisco 49ers kneeled during the national anthem a few months ago in protest of police brutality in America.

Excellent, that is a great way to stand for the cause. Here is the catch: people are riled up about it.

This past weekend as the 49ers played the Buffalo Bills, Kaepernick was greeted by a mixture of Bills fans. Some had shirts that said “Hey Colin, while you’re down there…” with an image of Kaepernick taking a knee. The shirt was explicit, insinuating Kaepernick engaging in explicit sexual behavior while being on his knee. 

Others held signs that said “Disrespect Colon” to show that they don’t respect him by spelling his name wrong. Any criticism thrown his way really seems like it's bothering him.

Not all Bills fans showed this disdain toward the man on his knee. Some held signs saying “Bills stand with Black Lives.” Amongst other positive messages resonating toward Kaepernick.

I just can’t believe why people are so up in arms about this.

Given the current racial climate in America, I am taking a metaphorical knee in solidarity with him.

Too often we are letting people of power get away with the mistreatment of minorities. In the case concerning Kaepernick, it’s in regard to police brutality toward blacks.

While I don’t have to live in fear for being attacked based on the color of my skin, and how cliché this is for a white kid to talk about the current racial climate in America, I cant help but hang my head in disappointment that we still have to deal with racism today. 

The fact that so many innocent black lives are taken by people of power blows my mind. This new era of Jim Crow we live in is tearing us apart at the very fiber of what makes us a nation. The more our government feeds into this new Jim Crow, the longer everyone is going to take a knee during the national anthem.

Chuck Greenlee is a sophomore studying communications and public advocacy at Ohio University. How do you feel about Colin Kaepernick? Let Chuck know by tweeting him @ChuckingAround.