A finished apple rose

Uptown Eats: Do-it-yourself apple roses

Romantic comedies have taught us that girls love getting roses from their secret admirer or significant other.

Wrong.

What a girl really wants is a bouquet of pastries in the shape of a rose that they can devour in seconds. And since I’m an independent woman who don’t need no man, I decided to make this fantasy a reality on my own.

Due to the abundance of apples that I already had, all I needed was some pastry dough that I obtained from Wal-Mart. With the oven set to 350 degrees, I began on a journey that I will never take again.

Do-it-yourself recipes seem like a good idea at the time, until you almost cut yourself multiple times with a sharp knife. The goal is to cut the apples as thinly as possible so they’re pliable enough to roll into the dough without breaking. Since I do not own a Mandoline, a cooking tool that cuts vegetables and fruits into a papery thin slice, I had to do it the old fashion way.

I found it easier and less dangerous to cut the apple while resting it on the cutting board and holding it by the stem. That allowed me to have the leverage to cut somewhat thin and whole pieces.

Once you have cut the desired amount of apples — for me it was about four before I decided to give up — pop them in the microwave for about 20 seconds to soften them up even more. Make sure they aren’t too hot to handle and gently roll them in some cinnamon.

Now it’s on to the assembly. With your dough sprawled out onto a floured baking sheet, spread some apricot or strawberry preserves, for flavor, onto a two-inch thick piece of dough. This will act as sort of a glue to hold the apple slices in place. Once that is done, fan out several pieces of the cut apple onto the dough, making sure they slightly overlap. Carefully start from one end and slowly roll the dough around the apples hopefully creating a cinnamon bun type thing that looks kind of like a rose from the top.

Place the finished roll-up in a muffin tin and top off with a mixture of butter and brown sugar. The ratio is up to you. Slather that on top to ensure a crystallized finish. Pop them in the oven for about 25 minutes or until the pastry dough looks cooked through and the apples are browning on the top.

After almost hours of anticipation, out pops a mediocre apple rose!

Although it didn’t look pretty, the concept turned out to taste almost like a mini apple pie. The mishaps along the way made the final result even more enjoyable, even though I will never be making these again.

If you’d like to see how these bad boys turned out and drool over the other things I have made, be sure to follow my food Instagram account @cheezuswalks.

Be careful out there and make the roses you deserve.

rg599913@ohio.edu