Ohio redshirt junior linebacker Quentin Poling (#32) jumps to block a pass from Bowling Green redshirt freshman quarterback James Morgan during the first quarter of Ohio's 30-24 Homecoming Weekend win, their first win over Bowling Green since 2011.

Football: A team on the rise, Eastern Michigan heads to Athens on Saturday

If there's another team in college football that's a bigger surprise than Eastern Michigan, I'd like to hear about it.

The Eagles, projected to finish last in the MAC West by nearly everyone, stand at a solid 4-2 record. With a win over Bowling Green, it's safe to say Eastern Michigan has surpassed its expectations. 

And now facing the Bobcats, the Eagles are just one win away from becoming bowl eligible. The Eagles haven't had a winning season since 1995 and have only appeared in one bowl game in school history (1987). 

Eastern Michigan will come in ready to pull the upset, and according to coach Frank Solich, will be a tough, physical team to play. Although Solich has used those terms to describe about every team the Bobcats have played, he's correct.

The Eagles will head to Athens seeking relevancy in the MAC, and bowl game dreams in their heads.

Breakdown

The Eagles aren't spectacular in any one facet of their offense, but they're rather solid across the board.

Running back Ian Erikson ranks ninth in the conference in rushing yards and quarterback Todd Porter is seventh in yards per game. 

Eastern Michigan runs the ball slightly more than they throw the ball, 232 against 202. The Eagles use two types of formations, one out of the shotgun and one under center. The look, however, is strikingly similar.

Using this YouTube video, I looked at the type of looks the Eagles will give the Bobcats on Saturday. 

Lined up under center at 1:28:17, the Eagles have two tight ends, a running back and a flanker. The flanker is imperative in the offense, no matter the formation. 

The Eagles failed to convert on the third and six and had to settle for a field goal.

At 54:54, Eastern Michigan lines up in the shotgun, but not much has changed. The tight end on the left has changed to a slot receiver, but everything else remained the same –– other than the quarterback in the gun.

The running back takes a handoff up the right sideline 50 yards for a touchdown. The flanker creates a natural misdirection play, confusing the defense and sealing the edge. 

Misdirection plays will be a staple of this week's offense for the Eagles.

Judgement

Ohio is the better team, but Eastern has more to lose. 

The Eagles face No. 25 Western Michigan next week, so the urgency will be there for the Eagles. But the Eagles might play right into the Bobcats hands.

If Eastern tries to run against the Bobcats front seven, it could be a long day for the team from Ypsilanti.

@Andrew_Gillis70

ag079513@ohio.edu