Fall Commencement speaker announced

Before Ohio University gains a new class of alumni in December, students will be able to hear from an OU professor who has worked at the university for nearly 20 years.

Jenny Chabot, associate professor of child and family studies in the College of Health Sciences and Professions, will speak at OU’s commencement ceremony Dec. 10. The ceremony will take place at 2 p.m. in The Convo.

“It truly feels incredible to be named the speaker for this year’s Fall Commencement ceremony,” Chabot said in a news release. “I am extremely nervous just thinking about the day, as I want to create a speech that inspires the students while sharing a little about who I’ve been as a professor at OU for 19 years and what I’ve learned along the way.”

A three-time recipient of the University Professor Award, Chabot started her career as a professor at OU in 1998 and is a Certified Child Life Specialist. She also received the Presidential Teaching Award twice and is the 2014 winner of the Student Senate Bobcat Medal Award.

“We are honored to have one of our faculty members play such a pivotal role on graduation day,” OU President Roderick McDavis said in the release. “I know our graduates will enjoy Dr. Chabot’s inspirational and encouraging remarks as they celebrate this notable milestone in their lives.”

Chabot earned her doctorate from Michigan State University in child and family development and is a member of the Child Life Council in which she serves on the council’s Education and Training Committee. In the spring, Chabot was a Fulbright U.S. Scholar All Discipline Teaching Award recipient and taught courses for the child life studies department at McMaster University in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada.

Chabot created a child life in South Africa education abroad program.

“I would love for (the graduates) to really understand that doors will continue to open for them post-graduation that could lead to areas they never expected to be in, both professionally and personally,” Chabot said in the release. “I would ask that they don’t leave any of those doors unopened.”

@megankhenry

mh573113@ohio.edu