Erin Franczak

ABCs of Greek Life: Members of FIJI fraternity have big plans for philanthropy this year

Yesterday, I sat down to talk with Jon Berryhill, the president of Phi Gamma Delta, a fraternity on campus. I know many of the gentlemen of FIJI because of my involvement in the Sorority and Fraternity community, but after sitting down with this president I realized what role models these men are and what values and morals they follow.

The most fascinating thing I learned about FIJI is they will only put their letters on certain items because their letters are sacred. These are the badge, official seal, official flag, chapter house marker, memorials to members, certificate of membership and official college ring. Everything else will say FIJI, or Phi Gamma Delta spelled out.

Like all of the Sorority and Fraternity Life on campus, members take part in Scholarship and Philanthropy. In the category of scholarship, the executive board works hard to put on workshops like time management and how to adjust to college.

He mentioned the members also learn approaches to talking to professors and getting ahead. In their new member period, they also learn about respecting everyone and the importance of this in everyday life. They want to represent their organization well. Last year they were nominated fraternity of the year. The aim of Phi Gamma Delta is to take regular men and turn them into leaders. They call this “Building Courageous Leaders”

Berryhill said he wants FIJI and Sorority and Fraternity Life as a whole to be something that everyone wants to play a role in.

Outside of academics, the members of FIJI are required to take part in other organizations around campus. Philanthropy is also very important to this organization. They have a huge emphasis on community service in the Athens area and are constantly out helping. 

They are currently working on some new ideas and working to improve some of the their traditional events. The first idea in the works is a Haunted House. It will take place at 20 S. College St. on Oct. 27 from 5-8 pm. $2 tickets will be available at the door. This is an exciting project, and everyone should attend.

They also have BreakFest for the Brave. This is a $5 event where they serve a delicious breakfast with tons of good company. It is a fun opportunity to meet people and eat some excellent food. Every year they raise over $1000. Maybe this year they can even double that amount.

President Berryhill said this organization is like a family, and that’s why he chose to join Greek Life and ultimately Phi Gamma Delta.

Erin Franczak is a sophomore studying journalism with a focus in news and information at Ohio University. What kind of philanthropy events would you like to attend? Let Erin know by emailing her at ef441614@ohio.edu.