Redshirt senior Chase Cochran dodges Nick Johnson during the game against Bowling Green on Saturday, October 11, 2014 at Peden Stadium. 

Football X's and O's: A look at the sputtering Falcons offense

The 2016 Bowling Green Falcons aren't your father's, or brother's, Bowling Green team.

At 1-4, and 0-1 in the MAC, the Falcons are statistically ranked near the bottom in the FBS in offense and defense.

Saturday will be the Bobcats' best chance to defeat the Falcons and earn a trip to the MAC Championship Game.

Normally a vaunted offense, the Falcons aren't impressing anyone this season.

Analysis

The Falcons like to throw the ball more than they like to run, but they perform both with nearly the same efficiency. They rank 78th and 79th in passing and running yards per game, respectively.

Using a YouTube video from Bowling Green's opening game against Ohio State, I looked at why the Falcons have been struggling so far this season. Obviously, the analysis is loaded. The Buckeyes are one of the country's best teams, and the talent disparity was noticeable.

Nonetheless, the Falcons, under new coach Mike Jinks, have struggled out of the gate. The normally potent offense is tied for 122nd in points this year.

Bowling Green runs a spread offense designed to run as many plays as possible in a short amount of time. They currently run 84 plays per game, however, Ohio is tied with Bowling Green at 84 as well. There won't be any difference in the speed of the offenses.

At 1:25:55, the Falcons lineup trips left. They are down 28-10, and are fading fast against the heavily favored Buckeyes.

James Knapke, the quarterback, takes the snap and drops back, looking for the inside receiver of the trips on a go-route.

That will prove to be a big mistake. The slot receiver ran an in-route, but was covered by a corner and a linebacker spy-route. The outside receiver ran an out-route at the first down marker, but is covered. With his options dwindling, Knapke stared down the go-route and let the ball fly. 

Because he stared down the route, safety Malik Hooker had time to read Knapke's eyes and get over in time to make the interception. 

Knapke appears to have had his job overtaken by James Morgan, but I wouldn't be surprised to see some struggles at the position anyways.

Judgement

The Falcons aren't very good, but they're desperate, and sometimes in sports, desperation is enough. 

Bowling Green will come in fired up, but a win would almost bury the team in MAC championship consideration. 

But with an offense that's had the struggles the Falcons have had, I don't see a rebound in the cards.

@Andrew_Gillis70

ag079513@ohio.edu