Rylie Brown

Back to Bobcat Basics: Hottest Halloween costumes this year

Halloween in Athens is a special time of year when many costume-clad people gather on Court Street. That means I get to happily observe people stumble and scream as techno music blares in the background. Watching hundreds of rowdy college kids in costumes is my favorite part of Halloween. 

This year, a handful of costumes made my list of favorites.

1. Tina Belcher from Bob’s Burgers

The black converse, white knee socks, powder blue shirt and short black hair indicated Tina Belcher was in my presence. The simple, effortless, yet hilarious costume that captures my personal spirit animal is by far one of the best costumes I've seen this year.

2. A life alert button accompanied by a fallen grandma

A man was dressed in all white with white poster board on each side of him depicting a large red button titled “Life Alert” as an elderly woman in a pink robe lay on the cold bricks of Court Street desperately grasping for the red button as a passersby stopped to take a picture. This ensemble was creative, original and downright hilarious.

3. KISS Band Members

Groups with white painted faces, unique black patterns and teased out hair roamed the streets as one member flashed Gene Simmon’s signature tongue. I thought this was an awesome idea for a group costume because it was far from mainstream and gave each band member their chance to shine.

4. Blue and Steve from Blues Clues

The cutest couple’s costume award goes to Blue and Steve. The perfect amount of nostalgia in the costumes was enough for me to acknowledge the cleverness and creativity they put in.

5. Arthur the Aardvark from Arthur

Last but not least, I have to mention my favorite aardvark nerd costume, Arthur. I saw two people dressed as Arthur, one even featuring Arthur’s sassy little sister D.W. I have to give this costume a thumbs up because I definitely would not have thought of this one.

Undoubtedly there are already students planning for next Halloween, or maybe they're just recovering from the weekend. Either way, the creativity in Athens never ceases to amaze me. Until next year, have a happy Halloween.

Rylie Brown is a sophomore studying journalism with a focus in news and information. Please note that the views and opinions expressed by columnists do not reflect those of The Post. What was your favorite halloween costume you saw this year? Tweet her @RylieMarieBrown.