Letter: Fatal police shootings should be investigated deeper

As a student of Ohio University, and a concerned citizen of this country, I want to bring awareness to an injustice toward law enforcement that is going in the United States of America. 

Due to the constant media coverage of incidents of police shootings, many Americans have formed strong opinions whether these shootings are necessary or not. When people are being killed in the street, there is so much emotion being thrown around that people are blaming these shootings on racial profiling.

I think we need to take a step back and look at how the situations arose, in the first place. 

Yes, those fleeing the police may have been shot by an officer of the law, but the majority of the time, these shootings were necessary to protect the common good of the people. We should not relate the victims of these shootings to the color of their skin, but to the situation they were in. 

I propose we stand together as one group to stick together through these tough situations.

In an effort to prevent future incidents, law enforcement should also develop a way to eliminate the threat without killing alleged perpetrators. Though controversial, there is room to debate the deployment of police officers with rubber bullets instead of real ones.

There are citizens in this country who are completely one-sided about these police shootings. Some members in our society believe that the victims are only being shot based on their race. I ask that these people take a look at the whole story and then develop their own opinion of the topic. 

Ethan King is a freshman studying sociology-criminology at Ohio University.