Americans want legal pot; Board of Trustees to discuss South Green demolition

Here’s what you need to know for Thursday, Oct. 20, 2016:

News from The Post

• OU’s Board of Trustees will discuss demolition plans for South Green on Thursday. (The Post)
  • Watch out for the construction of a bridge across the bike path next week. (The Post)

Good morning,

If an Ohio University student lit up a joint on College Green, they would be breaking the law, but 60 percent of Americans think marijuana use should be legal, according to a Gallup poll released Wednesday.

This time last year, OU students, Athens residents and other Ohioans were debating whether marijuana use should be legal. But that ballot initiative ultimately failed with about 63 percent of Ohio voters against it — including 64 percent of Athens County voters against it.

This year there is no ballot in Ohio about legalizing pot, but the five states of Arizona, California, Maine, Massachusetts and Nevada may have different weed laws after Election Day, according to The Associated Press.

Although just any OU student can’t openly smoke weed on College Green in the near future, as of September, medical marijuana was legalized in Ohio. But people may not be able to obtain medical marijuana for up to two years while legislation is worked out.

Interested in getting Post Haste sent directly to your email address each morning? Register here.

Weather

Pack an umbrella. There’s a high of 74 with an 80 percent chance of rain.(Courtesy of the Scalia Lab)

Scores and Game Times

The women’s golf team finished fifth in a tournament Tuesday. The field hockey team will play Kent State Friday

You might also want to know…

Reported cases of STDs in the U.S. hit an all-time high last year. (NBC)

Detroit is getting a whole neighborhood of tiny houses intended to give homeless people the opportunity to own a home. (SFGate)

For more global news, check out The New York Times' daily briefing.

@M_PECKable

mp172114@ohio.edu