Athens County Commissioners Charlie Adkins discuss issues during a meeting on September 20 at the Athens County Board of Elections. (DAWN JACOB | FOR THE POST)

County Commissioners: Low pay has led to low retention rates at Athens County EMS

Athens County EMS Chief Rick Callebs said the service's partnership with Hocking College has "not been very fruitful" in finding new paramedic workers.

Callebs came to the commissioners' meeting Tuesday morning to request authorization to renew ACEMS's clinical affiliation with the school, but noted that out of a class of 25, only two expressed any interest in working with the ACEMS.

"It's not the gold mine it used to be 20 years ago," Callebs said of Hocking College. "We might have to start looking elsewhere."

Callebs said the problem was twofold: most of the students at Hocking College came from other parts of the state and returned home as soon as they could secure a job. The other issue was that private services are paying more. Despite ACEMS offering benefits, Callebs said young people were more interested in higher wages than having retirement funds.

Callebs also said ACEMS was losing a paramedic because of the low pay. The commissioners discussed ways to improve retention, such as increasing salaries, but no conclusion was reached.

"I don't think raising wages another dollar (per hour) is going to convince many people," Commissioner Lenny Eliason said. "You're just raising your overall costs."

Ginny Shrimplin of the County Risk Sharing Authority came to discuss replacements for the older materials at the Athens County Common Pleas Court and the County Farm, two historic buildings in Athens County. She said the county had the option of reproduction or replacement. Reproduction would use identical materials, such as using stone for the columns in front of the building, and replacement would use more modern, cheaper materials, like pre-cast concrete. Reproduction would cost about $10,000 more. The commissioners must reach a decision before Nov. 15.

The county is also looking to remove a couple of trees around the courthouse because they are blocking the views of security cameras and making the brick sidewalks uneven.

"It's a growing problem, no pun intended," Charlie Brown, the building superintendent for Athens County, said.

@torrantial

lt688112@ohio.edu