MAC Football: Mid-week MAC play begins

Mid-week games in the Mid-American Conference begin this week with two Thursday night games –– Ohio plays on CBS Sports Network. Ohio travels to Toledo to help kick off the college football weekend. 

Buffalo vs. Akron

Buffalo may be near the bottom of the MAC at 1-6, but Akron coach Terry Bowden said his 5-3 Zips cannot look past this game.

“I don’t care if you’re 6-1 or 1-6,” Bowden said. “Everybody is so close to beating everybody else.”

Bowden recalls his team being a win from bowl eligibility with two games to go, two seasons ago. 

Buffalo beat Akron.

“They beat the snot out of us,” Bowden said. “They took us to the cleaners.”

An interesting matchup in this game is Akron quarterback Thomas Woodson against the Buffalo pass defense. The Bulls pass defense is the best in the MAC.

If Woodson can take care of the ball, Akron can take advantage of the worst rush defense in the MAC.

“Getting pressure and making plays is going to be difficult,” Buffalo coach Lance Leipold said.

Central Michigan vs. Kent State

Moving on to Saturday, Kent State travels to Mt. Pleasant, Michigan, to face Central Michigan.

Playing in Kelly/Shorts Stadium will be a challenge for Kent State.

“Central Michigan is historically a place that you go and you know their fans and student body are going to be behind them,” coach Paul Haynes said.

Kent State will, again, play with converted wide receiver Nick Holley at quarterback. Central Michigan will have to try and stop his explosive play and running style.

“They moved the young man from wide receiver to quarterback, and they’ve found some offense,” Central Michigan coach John Bonamego said. “They’re scoring points. They’re moving the ball on the ground and through the air.”

Eastern Michigan vs. Miami (OH)

Eastern Michigan is one win away from becoming bowl eligible for the first time since 1995, On paper, this seems like the game to do it, as the RedHawks are 2-6.

“Our seniors made it crystal clear that our goal this season was to go to and win a bowl game,” Eastern Michigan coach Chris Creighton said. “We are going to do that by going 1-0 each week.”

Miami is coming into this game with momentum, however, after winning two straight games. They have largely won those games because of defense.

“Their defense is number one in the conference, so their defense has been outstanding all year, and last year, their defense absolutely crushed us,” Creighton said.

@trevor_colgan

tc648714@ohio.edu