MAC Football: Western Michigan climbs to No. 20 after 41-0 victory

Western Michigan turned the ball over for the first time this season, but rolled to a 41-0 win over Akron.

Coach P.J. Fleck is not surprised his team has the least amount of turnovers in the country.

“We do the same ball security drill … every day in practice for about 10-12 minutes, when we were 0-8, 1-11,” Fleck said. “The only difference is when you emphasize something ... you’re going to get what you emphasize.”

The win earned the Broncos a higher standing in both the Associated Press Top 25 Poll and the Amway USA Today Coaches’ Poll, where they rank 20th in both polls.

Fleck makes sure his team does not feed too much into hype by taking the season one game at a time.

“We go about our business like we always do,” Fleck said. “That’s keep focusing on one game seasons, and that’s all we focus on.”

Western Michigan has started 7-0 for the first time since 1941.

Akron coach Terry Bowden knew his team got beat in all facets of the game.

“There’s not much to talk about,” Bowden said. “Western Michigan came out and played a great football game, and ran us out so fast.”

Toledo Wins “Battle of I-75”

Toledo won its rivalry matchup against Bowling Green for the sixth straight season in a 42-35 victory.

“I thought it was an awesome day for college football in northwest Ohio,” Toledo coach Jason Candle said. “Bowling Green and Toledo has had some tough games over the past years, and this was no different.”

After being down 27-14 after the third quarter, Bowling Green scored three touchdowns in a comeback attempt, but Toledo’s 15 points in the quarter prevented the comeback.

“We dug ourselves in a hole, and decided we want to play late in the fourth quarter,” Bowling Green coach Mike Jinks said. “(I’m) proud of the way they compete, we got to do a better job of keeping ourselves in the game in the second and third quarters.”

Central Michigan wins in three overtimes

Central Michigan defeated Northern Illinois 34-28 in three overtimes.

Chippewas coach John Bonamego knew the game would be a struggle, even against a struggling Northern Illinois team.

“In the end we made enough plays to win the game,” Bonamego said. “It was a very hard fought game on both sides.”

This was the Huskies second triple overtime game this season. They did not win either game.

“It’s situational football,” Northern Illinois coach Rod Carey said. “We certainly haven’t made the plays at crucial times.”

@trevor_colgan

tc648714@ohio.edu