Ohio University men's golf captains Peyton White, left, and Ty Herriott, right, both seniors, pose for a portrait at the Ohio University Driving Range on West State Street on Sept. 21.

Men's Golf: Ohio heads to Florida to end fall season

Through the first three tournaments of fall season play, the Bobcats have lacked a key ingredient necessary for finishing at the top of the leaderboard –– consistency. 

With just one tournament left to play, Ohio will look to find that consistency and end the season on a high note before the three month break until the 2017 spring season begins. 

The final tournament of the 2016 fall season will take place in Estero, Florida, on Oct. 24 and 25 at the Jack Nicklaus-designed Old Corkscrew Golf Club. 

The two-day tournament will consist of three rounds of 18 holes, and to head into the break with momentum on their side, the Bobcats will have to take a round-by-round approach to seek a successful finish to the season.

A strong team performance this week will start with senior co-captains Ty Herriott and Peyton White, the two players who have found consistency in their play all season.  

Herriott has averaged a score of 70.00 strokes per 18 holes in 2016, a big improvement from the 75.92 mark set last year. Herriott has been the team's most consistent player so far and has notched a top-20 finish in each of the three tournaments this year.

White has also carried the club with a score of 71.00 strokes per 18 holes, also an improvement from his 72.28 number last year, which was second-best in the MAC.

The team's ability to find success this week will come from the production of the back-end players, who have had up-and-down starts to begin the year. Sophomores Michael Kenney, Ben Sattler and junior Brady Bohl will need to keep each of their three 18 hole round scores in the mid-70s, a trend that worked nicely a month ago when the Bobcats finished in second place at the EKU Intercollegiate tournament.

Doing so means finding a consistent stroke, however, and this week will serve as another test to see if this team can take advantage of the flashes of promise shown in flurries throughout the season.

@anthonyp_2

ap012215@ohio.edu