Tyler Corbit

Two Thumbs Down: Nicolas Cage is still a profitable actor even with bad movies

The acting career of Nicolas Cage is often lampooned. The movies of Cage are often derided but rarely for the content of the film. Rather, it is due to his unorthodox, in-your-face acting style. While Cage movies can be very bad, or Academy Award-worthy, they are always amazing to watch for sheer entertainment value.

Basically everything about Nic Cage’s life is entertaining. He comes from a famous family, he has been married to Elvis’ daughter and he has a son who is in a death metal band. Simply the mention of his name is met with someone making either a “stealing the Declaration of Independence” or “How’d it get burnt?” joke. 

The man is an enigma. Love him or hate him, his name is everywhere in every movie. Simply watching his films as a joke puts money in his pocket, which slowly makes everyone realize Nic Cage may be to acting what Sharknado is to films.

What is almost crazy to believe is that Cage began his career with some phenomenal films. Con Air, Leaving Las Vegas and Face/Off were praised by critics and propelled Cage’s career not out of irony but out of actual appreciation for the storyline and Cage's acting talent. 

Now his career has evolved into the comedic. His films are often watched with a large group of friends looking for a cheap laugh or playing some game involving 21+ beverages. 

National Treasure will be the defining role of Cage’s career. The movie is able to mesh a liberal use of historical accuracy, strange plot lines that stretch questionable truths and Nicolas Cage freaking out over menial issues.The movie is not Academy Award-level, and to many, it isn’t good in general. However, the movie will always be remembered. Being remembered is almost as important, if not more important than being good

A role often parodied by Andy Samberg and various stand-up comedians, it does not harm but rather, enhances the career of Cage. His legend will live as long as his movies do. As the also-eternal Elton John said, “Your candle burned out long before your legend ever did.” This is how the future of Nic Cage’s legend will persist.

Tyler Corbit is a freshman studying journalism with a focus in strategic communications at Ohio University. What is your favorite Nic Cage movie? Let Tyler know by tweeting him @tylercorbit.