Mike Smith

Sporting Insights: Odell Beckham Jr. is acting strange

Odell Beckham Jr. is one of the most talented players in the NFL, and I love spending all of my Sundays watching him make ridiculous plays. But, he is becoming a huge try-hard that everybody hates.

It all started to go bad for Beckham when he faced off with Washington Redskins cornerback Josh Norman. He struggled to keep his emotions in check and played lousy as a result. He then started to display bad body language in that game and the next few games following.

Beckham was even crying on the sidelines at one point. He also tried to take his anger out on the kickers practice net, but it backfired because the net ended up hitting him square in the head. It was embarrassing and social media had a field day with memes making fun of him. So, Beckham decided he wanted to get the public back on his side.

He had a huge game on Oct. 16 against the Baltimore Ravens that included two touchdowns and 222 receiving yards. I loved seeing him back on track. However, I hated his antics on the sideline.

I am OK with Beckham making one or two jokes about the kickers practice net. But, he took it too far and tried way too hard. He kissed the kickers net and proposed to it. Like ... What? Do you know how dirty that thing is? Who knows where that kickers net has been. Kickers are a different breed.

Like Beckham could have been funny and cool if he made like one good joke with the kickers net. He just kept interacting with it every time he came off the field. The joke was dead before the first half was even over.

And now Beckham is entering super try-hard territory, which is something that no one likes. Everyone always hated that one kid in grade school or high school that would go above and beyond on school projects or on a Halloween costume to try to impress and be cool. Those kids are the worst. Those type of people just need to chill out and do less. Also, those type of people would always suck up to people with authority.

The whole point is that Beckham needs to take a step back and just get back to worrying about catching touchdowns. If he does that, everyone will love him in no time because he will then be helping people win their fantasy leagues. That is all it takes to be a well like NFL player. 

So, if you are reading this Odell Beckham Jr., leave the jokes to the funny guys and go back to catching a zillion touchdowns.

Mike Smith is a senior studying journalism at Ohio University. Who is your favorite football player? Let Mike know by emailing him at ms983012@ohio.edu.