Ohio's Maleek Irons tries to get the ball past Kent State. (FILE)

Football: Ohio tops Kent 14-10 in sloppy affair

After poor offensive production, redshirt freshman Quinton Maxwell was named the starting quarterback against Kent State.

Maxwell started, but failed to impress. It didn’t matter, though, as Ohio beat Kent State 14-10 on Saturday afternoon at Dix Stadium.

With the win, the Bobcats remain undefeated against teams within the Mid-American Conference East Division. If Ohio continues its streak, the Bobcats will play in the conference championship game.

Ohio started the game strong, jumping out to a 14-0 lead. The first touchdown came off a 49-yard run by Dorian Brown on the second offensive drive. Maleek Irons then scored on a two-yard run.

The lead might have been 21-0, but Irons fumbled inside the Kent

State 10-yard-line.

Leading 14-3 at halftime, the Bobcats struggled to move the ball effectively. Ohio finished the game with seven punts.

Kent State's best chance to take the lead came with four minutes remaining when a Papi White-muffed punt return gave the Golden Flashes the ball on the Ohio 11. The Bobcats forced a turnover on downs, which sealed the win.

Quarterback problems are still concerning, though. Maxwell finished the day 11-of-19 for 127 yards and an interception. Greg Windham did not play.

Brown had 12 carries for 111 rushing yards and a first-quarter touchdown.

Ohio will play next Thursday night at Toledo. This will be the first midweek game of the season.

@charliehatch_

gh181212@ohio.edu