The Over Hang, located on Court Street, is one of the 21 bars in Athens. Ohio University has slightly more bars within two miles of campus than other school in the Mid-American Conference.

OU has more bars near campus than any other Ohio MAC school

This is the ninth in a weekly series called Bobcats by the Numbers comparing Ohio University to the other five Mid-American Conference universities in Ohio.

Twenty-one bars line the brick streets of Athens — a number that is just higher than that at other college towns across the state. 

Of the six Mid-American Conference schools in Ohio, Ohio University tops the list for the highest number of bars within two miles of campus. The University of Akron and Kent State University have 20 bars within two miles of their campuses. The list does not include locations that are primarily restaurants, such as Buffalo Wild Wings. 

The six MAC universities in Ohio include OU, Miami University, Bowling Green State University, the University of Toledo, Kent State and Akron.

“I think it’s a high number, but I think it’s Athens, and it's a different animal,” Matt Taylor, a senior studying political science, said.

However, he does not think the number of bars contributes to OU's party school reputation. 

“When I think of party school, I think of house parties, (and) I think of fest season,” Taylor said.

Joana Rittmayer was surprised at the number of bars in Athens. A new bar opened in Athens early in the semester: Starting Gates Bier Halle, which sells food and German-style beers, opened at 120 W. Union St. in September.

“I thought there were 30 (bars),” Rittmayer, a sophomore studying interior architecture, said.

She said she likes how the bars in Athens are within walking distance.

“It’s nice how (the bars) are so close,” Rittmayer said.

Morris Wein said the number of bars contributes to OU’s party school reputation

“It’s not a great stereotype,” Wein, an undecided •freshman, said. “When I told people I was going here I always got the ‘Oh, what a party school.’ ”

Playboy named OU the top party school for 2015, citing the annual Athens Halloween Block Party, the bars on Court Street and the spring fests as reasoning for OU’s party-school ranking.

Neither OU nor the other five universities ranked among the top 20 party schools in the 2017 Princeton Review.

Despite being the fourth largest city in the state, Toledo has the fewest bars near its campus, with four in a two-mile radius.

Miami has 18 bars within two miles of campus, and Bowling Green has 15 within two miles of campus.

@megankhenry

mh573113@ohio.edu