Students who pay tuition on their credit cards are subject to a 2.9 percent fee.

OU's FAFSA is due two months earlier this year

Ohio University students now have access to the FAFSA three months earlier than they did last year.

But that means they have to turn it in earlier, as well. 

The FAFSA has traditionally been released Jan. 1, but because of changes in the submission process, it was released Oct. 1 this year. Additionally, the FAFSA must now be submitted by Jan. 15 instead of March 15.

Valerie Miller, director of Student Financial Aid and Scholarships, said the process will now be easier for students because they can use the income from two years before instead of the current year.

“By opening it months earlier they move to something called prior-prior year income, which means that you use two years prior income when completing the FAFSA,” Miller said. “Since the tax year would have been closed, that population availability of the data would already be present.”

Miller also said the earlier release date would benefit incoming freshmen.

“They have a longer time to consider financial aid offers and costs at different universities to make more sound choices about their college,” Miller said.

Some students were not happy about the earlier release date for the FAFSA, though.

Jacob Brown, a first-year graduate student studying theater, said as an out-of-state student, the earlier deadline makes completing the FAFSA more difficult.

"I believe it’s really inconvenient that the FAFSA system is allowing it to go earlier because I can’t get my taxes in from California," Brown said.

Beth Ulrick, an undecided freshman, said she was worried about the earlier deadline, and that breaking the status quo could frighten people.

“I think that’s kind of unnerving,” Ulrick said. "It just messes up what people are used to with tax returns."

Miller said there could potentially be issues with the earlier date and the use of prior-prior year income.

“There could have been change in a one-year period but now that that time has lengthened further there could be a change in terms of a parent losing a job or a change in martial status, a variety of things,” Miller said. “We are standing ready to know that we’ll have more situations where students are asking us to reevaluate things knowing that income has changed within their family.”

@leckronebennett 

bl646915@ohio.edu

Correction: A previous version of the headline incorrectly stated when the FAFSA will be due. It is due two months earlier. The headline has been updated to show the most accurate information.