Parking Officer Cravens writes a parking ticket for an expired meter. Athens City Council might extend the amount of time citizens can park their cars on the streets to 72 hours. 

City has no plans to build more parking despite business complaints

Though Ohio University officials have said they plan to expand parking on campus in the future, local business owners and residents say not enough has been done to ease parking issues Uptown.

The University's parking strategy is part of the OU Comprehensive Master Plan, released in March, Shawna Bolin, director of University Planning and Space Management, said in an email.

“The University is working on a detailed parking strategy to both better utilize the existing portfolio of parking spaces as well as anticipating future needs and the impact that new construction and changes have on the campus and the city,” Bolin said. “As funding becomes available and projects approved, improvements will be implemented.”

Janet Santone, owner of the Schoolkids Poster and Costume Shop, 12 S. Court St., said parking issues are “absolutely” affecting her business, and when even one parking space is compromised, local businesses suffer.

“As soon as you lose a space on the street it affects everyone,” Santone said.

To promote a shuffle of traffic and business in Athens, the city enacted a two-hour limit on parking spaces Uptown, and a 24-hour limit on residential streets.

Grace Corbin, an Athens resident and employee at the Import House, 68 N. Court St., said the limits are frustrating and hurt business in Athens.

“If you’re shopping Uptown and just trying to have a day Uptown and you’re spending money Uptown it’s ridiculous to move your car every two hours,” Corbin said.

Corbin, who has two jobs on Court Street, said it is difficult for her to find a spot when coming to work.

“Sometimes I have to drive around for half an hour,” she said.

The amount of open spaces is not the issue. A number of lots have "No Parking" signs tacked up.

Chris Pyle, owner of Donkey Coffee & Espresso, 17 W. Washington St., said that is because the city requires landlords have a parking space available for every tenant in their building, even if that tenant does not own a car.

“We just built apartments back here four years ago, and for every bed that we rent out we have to rent a parking space. We don’t have any parking on site, so we have to rent, for $100 dollars a piece, parking spaces,” Pyle said.

Pyle said renting parking spaces takes a toll on businesses.

“We’ve lost over $20,000 in four years. … We had to take out a loan to get by,” he said.

Pyle said if the city lifted the requirement for landlords to provide parking spaces for each of their tenants, more parking would become available around the city and businesses would benefit. However, he does not believe that will happen.

“I don’t think City Council is forward thinking, really, and that’s why we’re stuck in this spot that we’re in,” he said.

Councilman Kent Butler, D-1st Ward, said the city has no plans to build any new parking lots.

“I am not aware of any plans to create new parking,” Butler said.

Butler said rather than create new parking and allow more vehicles, the city is working on reducing the amount of traffic Uptown by making Athens more accessible to pedestrians and people on bicycles.

“I think there are things we could do that are more forward thinking, perhaps bringing more foot traffic from the neighborhoods,” Butler said.

Butler said Athens and Ohio University are collaborating to achieve that goal.

“Their long term plans include trying to make campus more pedestrian and bike friendly and trying to move traffic congestion to the outer rim or peripheral of campus,” Butler said. “So I think … those combined efforts will help with some traffic issues.”

Athens businesses and residents, however, remain unsatisfied.

“I know they don’t want to tear down any buildings and I’m not for that either," Corbin said. "All of these buildings are occupied by businesses. So what’s the solution city council? That’s the real question I guess.”

@LeckroneBennett

bl646915@ohio.edu