An OUPD vehicle is parked outside of Scott Quad. (JOSHUA LIM | FILE)

Police Blotter: Student arrested for ripping street sign from the ground, shoplifter attempts to steal $142 in groceries from Kroger

Though some people get caught lifting small items from bars and grocery stores, one man on Kurtz Street last weekend faced consequences for trying to pick up a slightly larger item.

At approximately 4 a.m. on Sunday, officers from the Athens Police Department responded to a report of a male “removing a street sign from the ground,” according to the police report.

The suspect, identified as an OU student, was cited for criminal mischief and later released by officers, who reported that the sign had snapped off the pole.

Two days earlier, the department responded to a reported shoplifter at Kroger, who attempted to steal approximately $143 in groceries.

The Ohio University Police Department also saw five reports of theft last week, in addition to three cases of criminal mischief, 12 drug charges, two alcohol-related incidents, one case of disorderly conduct by fighting and a report of vandalism.

“Extremely Loud” and Incredibly Drunken

Early Saturday morning, officers responded to reports of an intoxicated individual causing a ruckus in Lincoln Hall.

Upon speaking with the individual, the officer noted the man smelled strongly of alcohol, had slurred speech and was unbalanced on his feet. The officer also noted the individual was “extremely loud” when speaking, which “caused a disturbance,” according to the police report.

The man was arrested for disorderly conduct by intoxication and transported to Southeastern Ohio Regional Jail.

Above the Influence

Last Tuesday, an officer was dispatched to complaints of a male allegedly “under the influence of drugs,” who was lying in a hallway inside Perkins Hall.

According to the police report, the officer observed that the individual had dilated pupils, glazed eyes and was noted to be unsteady on his feet and “confused of his whereabouts,” according to the police report. The report does not note the substance suspected in the case.

Before being transported to O'Bleness Memorial Hospital for medical treatment, the individual was charged with disorderly conduct, according to the police report.

Totally Smashed

Around 4 a.m. Saturday, officers from the Athens Police Department responded to a call from President Street in reference to a “male passed out in a vehicle.”

The caller told officers the individual in question had smashed the window of the car and was later found sitting in the vehicle, according to the police report.

Officers identified the suspect as a 53-year-old from Florida and placed him under arrest for both disorderly conduct by intoxication and criminal damaging. He was transported to Southeastern Ohio Regional Jail.

@lauren__fisher

lf966614@ohio.edu