The Post Director of Photography Alex Driehaus wrote in the photo staff Facebook group that we needed photos of stray kittens. I immediately jumped on the opportunity. I was lucky enough to be working alongside my friend and fellow Postie, Mae Yap, for the article. On our way, we did get lost, believe it or not — however, the confusion was worth it as we played with two gorgeous, snow-white kittens. It was very difficult to photograph them when they were playing around, but I got a few clips of them poking their noses on the camera lens. I was able to snag a photo of the beauty above before he woke up.

My first assignment at The Post was working with Ashley Chong, a foreign exchange student from Malaysia. I would be lying if I said I was not nervous, but it was a nice job to ease into because I got to work with Patrick Connolly, Hope Roberts and Jessica Hill. I first met Ashley while she was playing ultimate frisbee, but my inexperience with shooting sports showed — a majority of my photos came out blurry. So then, I visited her at Clippinger Hall during one of her study sessions. We had a nice conversation, and I took a couple photos of her doing her thing.

Project FTK was one of my later assignments, but it was a very rewarding one. I had the opportunity to take photos of the group — a children’s charity dedicated to youth illnesses — while a family discussed its battle with pediatric cancer. The family was exposed to pediatric cancer first-hand when their son, Corbin, was diagnosed at six months old. It was very hard to believe — I saw the 3-year-old boy running around in Walter Hall, smiling and giggling. I was able to snap a photo with the entire group. The experience made me very happy to have chosen to be in The Post’s photo staff and to have taken the job.

My first real taste of on-scene journalism was when I attended the faculty senate meeting Sept. 12. It was the day when President Roderick McDavis announced that Ohio University would remove Roger Ailes’ name from the WOUB newsroom. Being in the room when that happened was amazing, especially when the room started clapping. I left the room after that announcement and was able to catch him to take a profile shot. I then ran to the newsroom where I was greeted by Lauren Bacho, who told me she needed a photo right away because the article was going up right then and there.

Soon after I submitted that photo, editors said Roger Ailes’ name had already been ripped down from the WOUB newsroom. That’s when I grabbed my camera and jogged across campus in three-inch platform shoes before it was covered up. I was not the only one there, but I was able to snap the photo from a variety of angles. My editor suggested the angle above because it showed the rips and tears in the wall — something I would have never noticed to take into account.

Photojournalism is not an easy job. Knowing cameras, composition, and having the stamina to keep up with one’s subjects is hard work. Though I may not be up to par with other photojournalists, especially the senior and junior Post photographers, it is a very rewarding experience to take people and let them know they matter by photographing them.