Column: Bobcats are still searching for normalcy after five games

Oddity — a one-word description of Ohio’s 2016 season to this point.

Before the year started, the previous starting quarterback left the team over health concerns. Three plays into the first game, the starting running back sustained a season-ending injury.

Five games in and Ohio is still looking for normalcy.

Hopefully, at least for coach Frank Solich, that starts Saturday.

At 3-2, the Bobcats started Mid-American Conference play last week with a win over rival Miami and could become the East Division front runner with a Homecoming win over Bowling Green.

Granted, Bowling Green is the one team Ohio continually struggles with. None of the current Bobcats have ever played in a win against the Falcons.

That might change.

The visitors enter Athens trying to rebuild their program; the hosts already have a soundly-built squad.

Injuries at running back, for the most part, have been patched up, and Ohio’s ground game will likely guide the offense. Passing wise, the team has a strong group of capable receivers and a strong-arm quarterback who looks comfortable managing the game.

Defensively, the Bobcats are stout and, at times, suffocating. The cornerstone of Ohio’s campaign for a conference title, impressive defensive performances should snowball into more wins and a postseason push.

To call a loss to Bowling Green season-ending is an exaggeration, but a win sits Ohio nicely into a position to close in on MAC championship — the one accolade Solich’s 12-year tenure still lacks.

It’s unnecessary to say Bobcat fans should stand up and cheer Saturday at Peden. Of course they will.

Only this time, there should be less emphasis on the Marching 110’s showing and more on Ohio playing. Perhaps that’d be an oddity fans could get used to expecting the rest of the year.

Either way, The Post will continue to cover the season unfolds, good or bad.

@charliehatch_

gh181212@ohio.edu