Ohio University Student Senate President Hannah Clouser and Chief of Staff Landon Lama welcome returning members from last year as well as students interested in joining Student Senate on Wednesday evening in Walter Hall. (AUSTIN JANNING | FOR THE POST)

Student Senate set to vote on budgets for SAP, CATS, Leadership Conference

Ohio University Student Senate will vote on four budgets Wednesday night. 

The body will vote on a budget of $809.41 to allow members of senate to attend the Collegiate Leadership Conference of Ohio. The budget will pay for three hotel rooms valued at $115 per room, a rental van and gas.

“It’s gonna be a great opportunity for our members to see how they can be better leaders here on campus," Sarah Pinter, Environmental Affairs Commissioner, said.

The body will vote on a budget of $127 to pay for 500 buttons as part of the Cultural Awareness Training for Students, or CATS, initiative.

“It’s for equality and a hate-speech-free campus,” Senate Treasurer Stephen Lichtenfels said.

A resolution about bathroom advertisements, valued at $189.71, publicizing the Survivor Advocacy Program will also be brought to the floor. 

“Last year SAP wasn’t completely operational,” Pinter said. “We are trying to work with SAP to get their name back out there. It’s a great start.”

The program provides confidential support and counseling services to survivors of sexual assault, stalking and relationship violence.

The program was previously named the Ohio University Survivor Advocacy Program and Delaney Anderson was the program coordinator, but she left her position last October for a job outside of the university. Anderson was a non-mandated reporter, and her departure left OUSAP without a licensed and credentialed program coordinator. A non-mandated reporter does not have to report suspicions of abuse.

On Nov. 16, OUSAP temporarily closed, and never reopened. 

Senate will also vote on a budget of $156.95 for the LGBTQA Affairs forum. 

Brooke Mauro, a student trustee, will also present to the senate body about what happened during last week’s Board of Trustees meetings.

“She’s going to talk about issues that are relevant to students,” Senate Vice President Courteney Muhl said.

Athens Councilman Pat McGee will also present to the general body.

“We don’t know for sure, but I have an inkling he’s gonna talk about relevant issues on the ballot,”  Muhl said. “I believe he’s speaking as a private citizen.”

There is set to be one resolution not pertaining to budgets where the body will vote to edit the definition of a delegate.

@taylor_snyder01

ts802716@ohio.edu