MAC Football: Western Michigan continues undefeated season

Western Michigan continued its unbeaten season with a 45-30 win over Northern Illinois. That game could be seen as a “changing of the guard,” as Northern Illinois has been the dominant team in the Mid-American Conference West Division for the past six seasons.

The Broncos are undefeated, and now seem to be well on their way to the MAC West crown, and the Huskies have won only one game this season.

“You got to give Northern Illinois credit, they’re a really good football team, very well coached,” coach P.J. Fleck said. “(Northern Illinois) has obviously been the team of the decade in our league, and you can tell why, they just know how to win.”

With this win, Western Michigan is now bowl eligible, only five other teams have reached that mark to this point in the season, and all of them are Power Five teams.

Western Michigan is ranked No. 24 in the AP Poll for this week.

Corey Davis makes SportsCenter Top Ten

Western Michigan wide receiver Corey Davis made a fantastic touchdown catch Saturday. The play went on to earn the top spot on SportsCenter’s Top Ten plays list.

Fleck said the catch was a product of hard work.

“There is nothing by coincidence in our program. (Davis) gets exactly what he deserves,” Fleck said. “The kid stays 30 to 40 minutes after practice, works on all the things he knows he has to work on, he changes his best every single day and finds a way to become more elite than he was yesterday.”

Surprise Teams

The MAC over the past few years seemed to have a set pecking order for the most part. This year is almost turning that order on its head.

Bowling Green and Northern Illinois have played each other in the MAC Championship Game the past three seasons. However, this season, the two teams have two wins between them.

Bowling Green coach Mike Jinks said that is due to the even talent across the MAC.

“(Western Michigan) has a talent level a little different than everybody right now,” Jinks said. “Everybody else (is) on a kind of level playing field. Toledo’s got some older guys and some guys in the skill position that can really make a difference, but it’s a great conference with great coaches, and every week you’re never out of a game.”

Eastern Michigan is heading in the other direction, however. The Eagles were projected to finish near the bottom of the MAC. They are 4-2, with their losses coming to Missouri and Toledo.

“We had our own projections and goals, not to say we’re not pleased with how we’re playing,” coach Chris Creighton said. “I think ‘surprised’ is a little stretch for us, but we lost to two good football teams, and we feel that we have a lot of room to be better.”

@trevor_colgan

tc648714@ohio.edu