MAC Football: Western Michigan is playing for spot in a New Year's Six bowl

No. 20 Western Michigan continued its undefeated season with a 41-35 win over Eastern Michigan.

If the Broncos win out, there's a possibility of them reaching a New Year’s Six bowl. There is one Group of 5 team ahead of them currently, No. 13 Boise State, based on The Associated Press Top 25 Poll.

Western Michigan’s standing in the contention for a New Year’s Six bowl game will not be fully set until the first College Football Playoff ranking is released Nov. 1, but it's highly likely the Broncos will be around where they are right now, if not higher.

Coach P.J. Fleck did not want to comment on the possibility of reaching one of those bowl games, as he said he wants to focus on the games at hand, and it is something he and his team can not control.

Toledo reaches bowl eligibility

Toledo reached bowl eligible status for the seventh straight season.

Coach Jason Candle said being bowl eligible for this long is a testament to the strength of the program.

“It means a lot to our city. I think our town (and) our community certainly looks forward to the Rockets being competitive each and every year,” Candle said. “I know each senior class, the past six, seven, eight years, has kind of raised the standard of what excellence looks like, and challenges the next team coming up to reach that potential.”

Toledo is the second team from the Mid-American Conference to reach bowl eligibility this year, the other being Western Michigan. Those two are among the 20 bowl eligible teams in all of college football.

Kent State’s ‘wild’ offense

In Kent State’s 14-10 loss to Ohio, quarterback Nick Holley was involved in 70 plays.

Normally that would not be weird. He's the quarterback. Quarterback, however, is not his natural position.

Holley began the season as wide receiver and has played most of his college games at that position.

He had to step into the quarterback role due to injury.

He ran the ball 41 times and threw it 29 times in a hybrid, “wildcat” offense. He performed well, gaining 159 yards on the ground and 101 through the air.

Coach Paul Haynes is going to continue to trust Holley in the hybrid offense the Golden Flashes are running.

“That’s the reason we moved him there,” Haynes said. “To have an opportunity to put the ball in his hands every single play.”

@trevor_colgan

tc648714@ohio.edu