Mike Smith

Sporting Insights: Dallas Cowboys' rookie quarterback should not be benched for Tony Romo

Rookie quarterback Dak Prescott has been unbelievable in place of Tony Romo, who has been out all season with a back fracture. However, Romo is almost ready to come back, so the question is whether he should start right away.

Romo should not start right away because you don’t fix what isn’t broken. Prescott has the Dallas Cowboys at 7-1 going into week 10. They look like one of the best teams in the NFC. Prescott and fellow rookie Ezekiel Elliot have exceeded all expectations. Prescott just has not made many mistakes and has let Elliot and the offensive line make it easy for him. Not taking anything away from Prescott because he has made some big time throws in crunch time this year.

According to NFL.com, Romo is willing to accept a backup role. Romo is a big team guy, so this should not be surprising at all. But we all know Romo wants one more chance to lead the Cowboys to the promised land. I think he will get that chance.

I am not saying Prescott will be benched because there is no way in hell he is going to be benched. However, I think he will either have a bad game or will get hurt or shaken up. That is when Romo will have his opportunity, and I fully expect Romo to step up when his number is called. A lot of people will think bringing Romo back will hurt the chemistry in the locker room. I don’t think it will because those players and coaches in Dallas love Tony Romo. They would rally around him again in a second. I also think Prescott would not complain because I think he would realize that Romo deserves one last chance.

Romo has had such a roller coaster ride with the Cowboys ever since he bursted on the scene when he replaced Drew Bledsoe in 2006. That season ended in heartbreak when Romo botched the hold for a potential game winning field goal in a playoff game against the Seattle Seahawks.

The Dallas Cowboys and Tony Romo have had a wild ride together ever since then. One of the biggest heartbreaks was a playoff game in 2014 against the Green Bay Packers that ended in a controversial fashion. Wide receiver Dez Bryant seemed to catch a good touchdown, but it was called back because Bryant did not make a "football move" as is listed in the NFL catch rules." It is probably one of the worst calls in NFL history.

Romo deserves one more shot to lead the Cowboys because he has given them everything. I think he will get a shot, and I think Dallas will win the NFC.

Mike Smith is a senior studying journalism at Ohio University. Please note that the views and opinions of the columnists do not reflect those of The Post. Do you think Romo should get his position back? Let Mike know by emailing him at ms983012@ohio.edu.