Attendees at the Holiday Train Fest in 2013 observe model trains on display (Provided via Ralph Calvert).

Deck the Green: Students staying on campus have many opportunities to engage with Athens residents

Though many students will venture home for winter break, those who remain on campus can participate in holiday festivities in the Athens area to get into the holiday spirit.

On the first and third weekends of December, Fossil Rock Raiders Model Train Barn, 14410 Shade Road, will hold its 10th annual Holiday Train Fest. The event is free for all who attend.

Ralph Calvert, one of the owners, said there are two floors of model trains, and some of the trains are made on the property.

“When I was 12 years old, I got my first train,” he said, “I’ve been into them for 50-plus years.”

The collection contains “more trains than you’ve probably ever seen,” Calvert said, and not all of the trains can be viewed in one trip.

“The next time you come see it you’ll find more,” he said.

The model train barn has a guest book that returning and new visitors can sign and write comments in. Calvert said it’s “really fun” to read through the comments. People of all ages can appreciate the collection, he added.

“I always heard a boy can’t have too many trains,” Calvert said.

The Athens Art Guild will host its annual Holiday Shoppe on Dec. 10 and Dec. 11 at 10 a.m. and 12 p.m., respectively. The Holiday Shoppe will take place at the Athens Community Center, 701 East State St.

Over 40 local artists and craftspeople will have their work on display for patrons to purchase, according to the event’s Facebook page. Kiser’s Barbeque will be on location to sell food to the shoppers.

Also taking place on Dec. 10 at 8 p.m. is Winter Breakaway, hosted by The Unitarian Universalist Fellowship of Athens, 184 Longview Heights Road. Tickets bought in advance are $20 for general admission and $10 for students, and at the door, prices are $25 for general admission and $15 for students.

The party will feature light appetizers, a silent auction and music from the local group Mozaïque, “an eclectic, acoustic performance group,” according to the group’s Facebook page. All proceeds will go to the Unitarian Universalist Fellowship of Athens’ endowment fund. There will also be a cash bar that will serve beer and malt beverages, according to the event’s Facebook page.

Those looking to showcase their artistic abilities can participate in the Dairy Barn Arts Center’s, 8000 Dairy Lane, Snowman: A Winter Wine and Canvas event on Dec. 15 at 5:30 p.m. Attendees will learn how to paint “festive and surprisingly easy snowman paintings” while sipping wine, according to the event’s Facebook page. Admission for the event is $25 and those who wish to attend must pre-register by calling Dairy Barn Arts Center.

On New Year’s Eve, Rollerbowl Lanes will host its annual party to celebrate the holiday. The adult party will start at 9 p.m. on Dec. 31. Admission is $25 and includes four hours of bowling, beverages and pizza. There will also be door prizes and 50/50 raffle drawings.

Mike Karshner, a manager at Rollerbowl Lanes, said the facility has held this event for about 12 years, and for the first time there will be a party for children from 3 p.m. to 7 p.m. The children’s party is $10 per person.

“We’ve had a lot of kids at nighttime and we allow alcohol, which is not a very good atmosphere for kids,” Karshner said.

Both parties will include different bowling games — such as Crazy Eights and nine-pin No Tap — that people can enter. The winner of the games will win the cash accumulated to participate in the game.

Mostly community members come to the New Year’s Eve party, Karshner said, because most of the students are home for Winter Break.

“There’s not a whole lot to do for New Year’s Eve except go to the bar, and you can bring alcohol to our (adult) party,” he said. “No other place can offer the fun, such as bowling, that we have.”

If You Go

What: 2016 Holiday Train Fest
When: 11 a.m., Dec. 3 and Dec. 17; 12 p.m., Dec. 4 and Dec. 18

Where: Fossil Rock Raiders Model Train Barn, 14410 Shade Road

Admission: Free

What: Athens Art Guild Holiday Shoppe
When: 10 a.m., Dec. 10 and 12 p.m., Dec. 11

Where: Athens Community Center, 701 East State St.

Admission: Free

What: Winter Breakaway
When: 8 p.m., Dec. 10

Where: The Unitarian Universalist Fellowship of Athens, 184 Longview Heights Road

Admission: Tickets bought in advance are $20 general admission and $10 for students, tickets at the door are $25 general admission and $15 for students.

What: Snowman: A Winter Wine and Canvas
When: 5:30 p.m., Dec. 15

Where: The Dairy Barn Arts Center, 8000 Dairy Lane

Admission: $25 per person

What: Rollerbowl New Year’s Eve Party
When: 9 p.m., Dec. 31

Where: Rollerbowl Lanes, 28 Palmer St.

Admission: $25 per person

@georgiadee35

gd497415@ohio.edu