Jefferson Hall rennovations will be completed January 2017 for the Market and August 2017 for the Residence Hall which will be for first year students (BLAKE NISSEN | FOR THE POST)

Jefferson Hall Market to reopen in January

Following several months of construction, the opening of Jefferson Hall Market is only about a month away. 

The Jefferson Hall renovations, which costed approximately $40 million dollars total, started May 2016, marking the first major renovation to the East Green hall since it opened in 1956.

The renovations will introduce updated rooms, a new Jefferson market, various campus commons and a Living Learning Center for East Green residents. The market will open in January, and the remainder of the building will open in August.

Although the updates share some similarities with newly renovated residence halls on South Green, one part makes the Jeff Hall upgrades different, Ohio University Spokesman Dan Pittman said.

“The Jefferson Marketplace is one thing that will set Jefferson Hall apart from the other renovated residence halls on South Green,” Pittman said in an email. “It will not house a traditional dining hall.”

The Jefferson Market will contain different sections for students to experience. The components will be a New York-style deli, a café and tearoom, a fresh juice bar and a Veggie Butcher concept.

The deli will include a seating area where customers can eat made-to-order sandwiches and sides, and people can purchase a variety of freshly-sliced meats and cheeses by the pound. Students will also be able to bring their choice of produce to the Veggie Butcher — an idea that mimics The District on West Green, according to Culinary Services’ highlights of Jefferson Market.

A demonstration kitchen, where visitors can learn new recipes and techniques, also will be introduced in the market through a partnership with the Scripps College of Communication. It will be used as a learning lab for students.

“The demo kitchen is a very exciting addition where customers will learn new cooking techniques during live demonstrations,” Pittman said in an email.

No other markets or dining halls on OU’s campus have an option similar to that.

As for the residence hall, a Living Learning Center is being added on the first floor for East Green residents. Along with a Living Learning Center, there will be study spaces, a large multipurpose room, a living room and a game room.

“The ability to transform the first floor into a campus commons/living learning center for East Green provided an excellent opportunity for enhancing what we provide to campus residents,” Pete Trentacoste, the executive director of Housing and Residence Life, said in an email.

Trentacoste said Jefferson Hall will be a first-year hall. First-year students will be able to select their building starting in May.

Those student rooms will be on the second, third and fourth floors of Jefferson Hall. Each room will include new beds, desks, built-in cabinets and individual climate control capabilities.

“I think it’s cool they keep renovating the new dorms,” Marah Beach, a sophomore studying psychology, said. “I think it looks good for (Ohio) to do that … it keeps the students happy.”

@maggiesbyline

mc987015@ohio.edu